Microdosing with flavor extracts

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by Starter Hops, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Starter Hops

Starter Hops Member

Yesterday morning I racked my IPA to secondary for dryhopping. Having used old hops in the boil and whirlpool, I was left with the seminal garlic/onion tones that made this brew taste flawed. I threw the rest of the bag out.

Along with the dryhop charge, I then added 10 drops each of blueberry, blackberry, and vanilla extracts. 10 drops equates to around 0.5 mL, so here we're talking 1.5 mL total with all 3 flavors in a 5-gal batch. Along with the dryhops, 24 hours later, my sample tasted corrected and more juicy.

I think these extract additions are below the sensory threshold of pinpointing artificial flavor contributions (like that awful, synthetic tasting Blueberry Wheat I made last year..). And, the three blended together doesn't make 1 stand out from the others.

Another tool in the toolbelt: flavor extract micro-dosing during dryhop.

J A likes this.
  2. J A

J A Well-Known Member

Good to know. I just picked up a lot of older hops cheap from Yakima Valley's blowout sale. I tend to stay away from hops that have any tendencies toward garlic (Summit is a know offender), but the addition of some fresh flavors to combat it if it comes through is a good idea.

3. Starter Hops

Starter Hops Member

There's still a garlic note in the background, which I hope will fade a bit more as the dryhop progresses. Its no longer offensive but rather complimentary if it remains through to the end.

My dryhop was 3oz nugget, 1 oz mosaic, and .5oz crystal. Now, the whole addition with the flavors is closer to a Mosaic single hop profile and I could probably cheat and tell others that's what it is. lol

4. J A

J A Well-Known Member

I got some 2015 Nugget and 2014 Crystal and 2013 Chinook. I'll just have to hope they don't give off too much garlic. Most of those I won't use a lot in dry-hop anyway, but I won't want that flavor. :eek:

5. Ozarks Mountain Brew

Staff Member

IT Managment
    I hate to say it but your crystal will be drowned out by the other 2, I would add more or not use it

6. Starter Hops

Starter Hops Member

The crystal hops were not part of the original plan I'm sorry to say. I needed the other half ounce for a different brew, this was cleanup.

7. Ozarks Mountain Brew

Staff Member

IT Managment
    might as well use it before you loose it lol, I love crystal hops, its my go to for a Mittelfruh replacement

8. Starter Hops

Starter Hops Member

Bingo! The other half is flavor for the Vienna I'm brewing right now. Damn it's cold out I've got my snowmobile suit on.

9. Starter Hops

Starter Hops Member