Microdosing with flavor extracts

Starter Hops

Premium Member
Reaction score
Yesterday morning I racked my IPA to secondary for dryhopping. Having used old hops in the boil and whirlpool, I was left with the seminal garlic/onion tones that made this brew taste flawed. I threw the rest of the bag out.

Along with the dryhop charge, I then added 10 drops each of blueberry, blackberry, and vanilla extracts. 10 drops equates to around 0.5 mL, so here we're talking 1.5 mL total with all 3 flavors in a 5-gal batch. Along with the dryhops, 24 hours later, my sample tasted corrected and more juicy.

I think these extract additions are below the sensory threshold of pinpointing artificial flavor contributions (like that awful, synthetic tasting Blueberry Wheat I made last year..). And, the three blended together doesn't make 1 stand out from the others.

Another tool in the toolbelt: flavor extract micro-dosing during dryhop.

Reactions: J A
Good to know. I just picked up a lot of older hops cheap from Yakima Valley's blowout sale. I tend to stay away from hops that have any tendencies toward garlic (Summit is a know offender), but the addition of some fresh flavors to combat it if it comes through is a good idea.

There's still a garlic note in the background, which I hope will fade a bit more as the dryhop progresses. Its no longer offensive but rather complimentary if it remains through to the end.

My dryhop was 3oz nugget, 1 oz mosaic, and .5oz crystal. Now, the whole addition with the flavors is closer to a Mosaic single hop profile and I could probably cheat and tell others that's what it is. lol

I got some 2015 Nugget and 2014 Crystal and 2013 Chinook. I'll just have to hope they don't give off too much garlic. Most of those I won't use a lot in dry-hop anyway, but I won't want that flavor. :eek:

The crystal hops were not part of the original plan I'm sorry to say. I needed the other half ounce for a different brew, this was cleanup.

might as well use it before you loose it lol, I love crystal hops, its my go to for a Mittelfruh replacement

Bingo! The other half is flavor for the Vienna I'm brewing right now. Damn it's cold out I've got my snowmobile suit on.

Back