Lifting device

That is one of the options I see. If you use wood, what kind of anchor/feet would you use for stability outdoors? Would you put some stakes into the wood? Raising 13 or 14 pounds of grain + all the water gets heavy.
If on dirt, the ends of the wood will be stable enough for 25+ pounds. If you are worried, a big nail half-driven into the bottom will be plenty.

If on dirt, the ends of the wood will be stable enough for 25+ pounds. If you are worried, a big nail half-driven into the bottom will be plenty.
I do appreciate all the ideas. Thanks y'all.

Another idea for the tripod. Get some lengths of 3/4" steel pipe from the home center store. You could get it in shorter lengths with threaded ends and assemble the legs using couplers. Drill holes where needed to attach the hoist. After use, just disassemble and put away.

Another idea for the tripod. Get some lengths of 3/4" steel pipe from the home center store. You could get it in shorter lengths with threaded ends and assemble the legs using couplers. Drill holes where needed to attach the hoist. After use, just disassemble and put away.
I have enough room to store a skinny tripod that is 8 feet or so in the garage. It is the wider stuff I have an issue with because of my beer shit and my lawn tractor. Life has a strange way of compromises, I have a small house with a big back yard, but it is paid off after 20 something years.

just dont put it away. when you are not using it, hang a planter from it! its decoration, lol
The wife would like that. In this climate with the sun and rain combination, things last a whole lot longer with a roof. I learned that after a couple of smokers got ruined. I have one of the old fashioned dome smokers with no doors left. That one goes in the garage immediately after use because they are not made anymore and work very well.

This could be a multi-use device. Use it for camping, bonfires, etc., to hold up a pot for cooking. Make the tripod with legs in sections, you could unscrew a section from each leg and have a shorter tripod if you wanted (i.e., 4' instead of 8'). Suspend a big cast iron pot and cook from it.

The wife would like that. In this climate with the sun and rain combination, things last a whole lot longer with a roof. I learned that after a couple of smokers got ruined. I have one of the old fashioned dome smokers with no doors left. That one goes in the garage immediately after use because they are not made anymore and work very well.

That's what exposed rafters in the garage and these things

https://www.amazon.com/Etoolia-bike...1&sprefix=j+hooks+for+ladders,aps,235&sr=8-16

are for....

I had somewhat of a brewing disaster that I learned about when bottling yesterday. I still have beer, although a session version. I have some ideas of what went wrong, but it got me rethinking a whole bunch of stuff and some safety issues.
I have been trying to work around a POS stove like a dumbass. Once I started rethinking, I realized for cheaper, easier, and safer, I can change out the stove and use the ladder rigged up with a pulley.
I see a bunch of stoves on Amazon and Northern Brewer, but the diameter looks small on a lot of those. With BIAB I have a 16-gallon kettle that I use for full boils. Does anyone have a suggestion on a propane burner that has adjustable heat, sits fairly low, and can accommodate a kettle that is 15.5" or so in diameter? Something a little better than a turkey fryer?

I had somewhat of a brewing disaster that I learned about when bottling yesterday. I still have beer, although a session version. I have some ideas of what went wrong, but it got me rethinking a whole bunch of stuff and some safety issues.
I have been trying to work around a POS stove like a dumbass. Once I started rethinking, I realized for cheaper, easier, and safer, I can change out the stove and use the ladder rigged up with a pulley.
I see a bunch of stoves on Amazon and Northern Brewer, but the diameter looks small on a lot of those. With BIAB I have a 16-gallon kettle that I use for full boils. Does anyone have a suggestion on a propane burner that has adjustable heat, sits fairly low, and can accommodate a kettle that is 15.5" or so in diameter? Something a little better than a turkey fryer?
Look for a used Blichman burner. Either the hellfire or the original.
A new one is about $200

Good call on not using a turkey fryer burner. The are not right for this task.

Yup. I just got a call from a family member saying how cheap a turkey fryer is right now. I looked at them when I went BIAB and knew they wouldn't work.
I then bought a 60,000 BTU, two-burner camp stove. I have made some good beer with it too, but because of where I have it and the kettle size, I'm going to burn the crap out of myself one of these days. It was even less level this last time, and my mash temps were all over the place inside the kettle. If I am going to continue to improve my brewing and try to stay healthy, the equipment needs to get better too.

I was in the same boat. I went and bought some cheap PVC pipe that his just short of ceiling height ... and then I hook the pully onto the top of the pipe and even though the pipe isn't anchored it works well enough. I call it my one arm bandit.

I have the DarkStar 2.0 from Northern Brewer. The top ring has a 16.5" diameter and the height is 11.5". It holds my 10 gallon Spike brew kettle nicely and I can maintain a good rolling boil with the valve about 1/2-2/3 open. NB website says it can put out 65,000 BTUs

I have the DarkStar 2.0 from Northern Brewer. The top ring has a 16.5" diameter and the height is 11.5". It holds my 10 gallon Spike brew kettle nicely and I can maintain a good rolling boil with the valve about 1/2-2/3 open. NB website says it can put out 65,000 BTUs
Seems like allot. 4500 watts is about 15k btu of direct heat and will boil like crazy. Once boil is achieved, I can cut it to 1500 watts (5k btu)

Must be allot of lost heat due to indirectly heating?

Seems like allot. 4500 watts is about 15k btu of direct heat and will boil like crazy. Once boil is achieved, I can cut it to 1500 watts (5k btu)

Must be allot of lost heat due to indirectly heating?

There was a study done on residential gas ranges. If I remember correctly less than half the heat makes it into the food inside the pot. I use a DIY wind break to keep some of the heat from being blown away (I brew outside). So, let's say I'm running my burner at 50% of max output. So that puts me at 32,500 BTU. Being generous let's say 50% is making it into the wort. So, that puts me at 11,750 BTU going inside my kettle. So that puts me on the same pitch (World Cup ya know) as the 15,000 BTU from a 4500 watt heating element.

BK Setup 4.jpg

My first burner was a Bayou Classic SQ14. It put out plenty of heat for 10 gallon boils and could handle the weight, and you can adjust the heat setting. It served me well. I handed it down to a family member who got into brewing, and now have a Blichmann, which I like. Not cheap, but built to last. If you get the Blichmann, consider getting the 24" leg extensions, which makes racking from the kettle drain valve a snap.

There was a study done on residential gas ranges. If I remember correctly less than half the heat makes it into the food inside the pot. I use a DIY wind break to keep some of the heat from being blown away (I brew outside). So, let's say I'm running my burner at 50% of max output. So that puts me at 32,500 BTU. Being generous let's say 50% is making it into the wort. So, that puts me at 11,750 BTU going inside my kettle. So that puts me on the same pitch (World Cup ya know) as the 15,000 BTU from a 4500 watt heating element.

View attachment 23451
Makes sense

Back