Lifting device

Sandy Feet

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I know there are a number of Brew In A Baggers out there.
For the first time ever today, I could not lift the bag. Well, actually I could, but it took both hands, and I could not put my grill grate under the bag without help. I brew outside under a canopy, so I really can't rig up a pully system. Do any of y'all know of any compact, reasonably priced devices that would work on the loops of my bag to pull it out of the water? And, if they are out there, where I could purchase a device like this?

BIABer here.

Seconded on the ratchet pulley.

I built a BIAB rig a few years ago, I can roll it in and out of the garage.

BIAB_NOV2018.jpg

Yours doesn't have to be as elaborate. A simple A-frame built from scrap 2x4s would do fine. You could also rig the pulley under a tall folding ladder.

I brew small batches (3 gallons) in my kitchen and concocted this thing because I had a similar problem. Lifting the bag wasn’t too much of a pain, but doing without creating a mess was challenging. This thing lets me drain, squeeze and lift the bag mess free.

Attachments

• 92B01032-A31D-429E-9EF3-955801C87597.jpeg
    92B01032-A31D-429E-9EF3-955801C87597.jpeg
    242.1 KB · Views: 58
Small batch here.
I pull and put in a colander over a seperate pot.
For your situation I though maybe a tripod would work? With pulleys

When I brew 5 gallon batches indoors on the stovetop, I use a DIY drainer thing I cobbled together from a plastic food-grade bucket, some stainless bolts and scraps of sheet metal. I got tired of using a large colander, as it had holes in the side which allowed wort to trickle down the sides (and onto my countertop). The bucket thing just has holes drilled in the bottom and it sits slightly below the rim of the kettle.

BIAB_Rocket_sm.jpg

BIABdrainer.jpg

A simple tripod from 2x4s gives you the 'sky hook' you'll need, as would an A-frame ladder. I use something similar to this this non-ratcheting pulley setup. It uses two double pulleys and a length of decent poly rope, and I can lift my 5-gallon malt pipe with one hand easily.

Interesting ideas. I had somebody tell me today that Harbor Freight has some nice toys, so I may go look there too. Thanks y'all.

Three 2x4 studs ...a foot of all thread ..couple of bolts and a couple of 1/2" pulleys and you are on your way. Just make sure to anchor the feet...you don't need a leg kicking out with 40 pounds of wet mash dangling over a pot of hot wort! A cleat or something like this will be nice to hold things in place.

IMG_20221127_164842_hdr.jpg

Interesting ideas. I had somebody tell me today that Harbor Freight has some nice toys, so I may go look there too. Thanks y'all.
Caveat Emptor. Their tools are often 'cheap' in all senses of the word.

Some items are so simple in construction that they cannot be made too crappy. Like an anvil, tarps, some hand tools - you can usually tell..

Other items are made well enough but relatively expensive (but still less costly than well-known name brands), you'll get some service from them but they won't last as long as the name brands. I will say their high-end alkaline batteries are a good buy. I also have a set of cobalt drill bits that have really lasted. My brick saw is fiddly but it's cut hundreds of bricks with ease.

However many items are junk, because you get what you pay for. Like the screwdriver that I swear had a lead tip, it stripped itself almost immediately. Saw blades that un-sharpen in minutes. Screws for wall anchors that strip out when you try to tighten them.

I often will buy a tool for a single job. If it gets through that job, I consider any subsequent use as a bonus. I estimate I have a thousand dollars worth of their tools, maybe more.

BIABer here.

Seconded on the ratchet pulley.

I built a BIAB rig a few years ago, I can roll it in and out of the garage.

View attachment 23232

Yours doesn't have to be as elaborate. A simple A-frame built from scrap 2x4s would do fine. You could also rig the pulley under a tall folding ladder.
I like the ladder idea. When I get some time, I might play around out back with it.

The ladder idea didn't work. I'm using a 2-burner propane grill. The space in between the ladder doesn't fit the grill + my big 16-gallon kettle.
I saw some ideas for a deer tripod hoist. I almost was going to order one until I set up my canopy. It was 8' tall at the highest point and so is the tripod. It likely will not fit.
I saw a camping tripod. That was too small and would not support enough weight.
Unless I see something else that would work, I may need to build a tripod somewhere between the size of a camping lift and a game lift. I have been playing around on YouTube looking at outdoor, freestanding devices.

The ladder idea didn't work. I'm using a 2-burner propane grill. The space in between the ladder doesn't fit the grill + my big 16-gallon kettle.
I saw some ideas for a deer tripod hoist. I almost was going to order one until I set up my canopy. It was 8' tall at the highest point and so is the tripod. It likely will not fit.
I saw a camping tripod. That was too small and would not support enough weight.
Unless I see something else that would work, I may need to build a tripod somewhere between the size of a camping lift and a game lift. I have been playing around on YouTube looking at outdoor, freestanding devices.
I don't remember. Are you in the basement? Exposed floor joist?
Maybe this?

Newhouse Electric 1-5/8 in. 12 Gauge Metal Strut Channel with Slotted Back, Half-Slot Steel U-Channel (SC12-4-EG) https://a.co/d/55JicFM

2 Wheel Trolley Assembly Rollers Two Bearing Trolley Assembly for 1-5/8" Wide and All 1-5/8" or Taller Strut Channel… https://a.co/d/8DMchch

I'm outside. That is the problem. I brew in my back yard under a canopy. I need something free standing as the spot I brew in isn't close enough to a low hanging tree branch. I did have one, but it kept hitting my gutters, so the branch got cut.
We aren't high enough above the water table for basements. If I had a basement, there are all kinds of cool ideas including some of the above. The flip side is that I live in a climate where I can brew the vast majority of the year. In the summer, I just have to do it early.
I'm not exactly the craftsman, but I might be able to manage putting three polls together assuming I find the right materials for the weight and size.

2x4 studs would be 8'. Used in a tripod spreading the base 3 feet off center should give you a lifting point at about 7 feet off the ground.

2x4 studs would be 8'. Used in a tripod spreading the base 3 feet off center should give you a lifting point at about 7 feet off the ground.
That is one of the options I see. If you use wood, what kind of anchor/feet would you use for stability outdoors? Would you put some stakes into the wood? Raising 13 or 14 pounds of grain + all the water gets heavy.

That is one of the options I see. If you use wood, what kind of anchor/feet would you use for stability outdoors? Would you put some stakes into the wood? Raising 13 or 14 pounds of grain + all the water gets heavy.
You could use 10' 2x4 as well, get little higher.

I would make 2 A frames and lag them together at the top. Use some angle iron to give the horizontal piece some strength. It would be free standing. Hell you could buy some 5" locking casters and make it easily mobile

That is a nice looking toy. I might have to think about that if I can find the storage room.

Oh yeah...got any rebar?

Back