Length of time in secondary

Huff

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm wondering what people think would be a reasonable amount of time in secondary for a dry hopped pale ale. Would 4 weeks + be too long? Normally I wouldn't leave that style for that long, but I'm heading away on vacation and wondering if I need to bottle before I go. Thoughts?

Four weeks is a long time. Hops will tend to leave a lot of vegetal flavor. Dry hopping for 7-10 is generally considered plenty. I do 4 days to maybe a week, depending on when hops go in. If you've been dry-hopping for at least a few days already, I'd bottle up and it'd be carbed and waiting to enjoy when you return. :)

I don't do secondary anymore, but 4 weeks is a lot of time. Dry hopping for more than 7 days will negatively impact the beer. I only do 3-5 days of dry hopping, as anything over 7 days leaves detectable vegetal flavours, which make the beer unpleasent.

I don't do secondary anymore, but 4 weeks is a lot of time. Dry hopping for more than 7 days will negatively impact the beer. I only do 3-5 days of dry hopping, as anything over 7 days leaves detectable vegetal flavours, which make the beer unpleasent.
Same same also the way i brew trub and all im not keen for my beer to be in contact with all that trub for too long. Get it in a conditioning vessal under c02 then let it age. But i understand secondary fermentor is this conditioning/bright tank.

Four weeks is a long time. Hops will tend to leave a lot of vegetal flavor. Dry hopping for 7-10 is generally considered plenty. I do 4 days to maybe a week, depending on when hops go in. If you've been dry-hopping for at least a few days already, I'd bottle up and it'd be carbed and waiting to enjoy when you return. :)
LOL that's exactly what I was figuring people would say. Ok thanks a lot for the response.

Reactions: J A
I would bottle it up before you leave if possible. Will be ready to drink when you get back.

Hi Folks,

I'm wondering what people think would be a reasonable amount of time in secondary for a dry hopped pale ale. Would 4 weeks + be too long? Normally I wouldn't leave that style for that long, but I'm heading away on vacation and wondering if I need to bottle before I go. Thoughts?
Short answer: As long as it needs. Secondary is to clear up haze and let the beer become bright. Longer can be better as long as you were careful about splashing and don't have a lot of oxygen in there. So four weeks should not be a problem as long as you're using good storage practices.

And as mentioned, get the hops out of it before you leave. You might not like the result if you don't (think green onions....).

Back