insecure sediment

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by ronytrombone, Jan 16, 2018.

1. ronytrombone

ronytrombone New Member

I recently - a couple of weeks before Christmas actually - bottled some all grain IPA. I racked into secondary fermenter off
    all the loose dry hops I had used, added about 100g dissolved sugar then bottled. This has produced just a little secondary fermentation to get things fizzing, and a small amount of sediment.
    Trouble is I'm finding the sediment is rather too keen at getting disturbed and clouding the beer when I pour - as soon as the bottom of the bottle is cleared. So I get 4/5ths of the bottle OK but have to leave the remainder - or pour into another glass to drink cloudy.
    I used American ale yeast US-05 is that relevant ?
    Any ideas here ?
    Thanks

2. jmcnamara

jmcnamara Well-Known Member

Stupid question, but you've chilled the bottles for a few days before opening?

J A and Mase like this.
  3. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

US-05 is a pretty clean yeast and a medium flocculator, if I remember correctly. First question: Did you rack the beer before packaging? If not, you might have sucked up some of the sediment. If you're getting a "yeasty" taste, one I usually perceive as sharp and unpleasant, that's likely it. I checked Safale's information and find that it isn't a good flocculator - next time you might consider racking and fining?

4. Trialben

Trialben Well-Known Member

Pest control tech
    Chill the beers for at least a week before opening that way your compacting hopefully the yeast/trub cake at the bottom more.

5. J A

J A Well-Known Member

The longer they sit, especially at cold temperatures, the more firmly packed the yeast sediment becomes. If you've stored for a while - upright, of course - and chilled at below 40 degrees for a week at least, they'll hold up to pouring most of the beer off. That sediment is one of the reasons I went to kegging. I can bottle from kegs if needed and there's no sediment at all in the bottles.

Beer_Pirate, Mase and Trialben like this.
  6. ronytrombone

ronytrombone New Member

Oh yes !

7. ronytrombone

ronytrombone New Member

Thanks
    been sitting now for 4/5 week and looking more firmly packed if I pour very slowly - I'll look into pricing up for some kegs

J A likes this.
  8. ronytrombone

ronytrombone New Member

I added leaf hops towards the end of fermentation - my first attempt at dry hopping - next time I'll use pellets. Anyway I racked off to a second fermentation bin filtering through a plastic/muslin bag I use as a hop spider (I gave up with the cheap metal one I ebayed from China) then on into bottles - slight yeasty taste - next time I'll leave the racked beer for a bit before priming and bottling.

9. ronytrombone

ronytrombone New Member

Thanks guys for all you replies here - great to be part of such an active forum ! :)

Hawkbox likes this.