insecure sediment

ronytrombone

Trial Member
Reaction score
I recently - a couple of weeks before Christmas actually - bottled some all grain IPA. I racked into secondary fermenter off
all the loose dry hops I had used, added about 100g dissolved sugar then bottled. This has produced just a little secondary fermentation to get things fizzing, and a small amount of sediment.
Trouble is I'm finding the sediment is rather too keen at getting disturbed and clouding the beer when I pour - as soon as the bottom of the bottle is cleared. So I get 4/5ths of the bottle OK but have to leave the remainder - or pour into another glass to drink cloudy.
I used American ale yeast US-05 is that relevant ?
Any ideas here ?
Thanks

US-05 is a pretty clean yeast and a medium flocculator, if I remember correctly. First question: Did you rack the beer before packaging? If not, you might have sucked up some of the sediment. If you're getting a "yeasty" taste, one I usually perceive as sharp and unpleasant, that's likely it. I checked Safale's information and find that it isn't a good flocculator - next time you might consider racking and fining?

Chill the beers for at least a week before opening that way your compacting hopefully the yeast/trub cake at the bottom more.

The longer they sit, especially at cold temperatures, the more firmly packed the yeast sediment becomes. If you've stored for a while - upright, of course - and chilled at below 40 degrees for a week at least, they'll hold up to pouring most of the beer off. That sediment is one of the reasons I went to kegging. I can bottle from kegs if needed and there's no sediment at all in the bottles.

The longer they sit, especially at cold temperatures, the more firmly packed the yeast sediment becomes. If you've stored for a while - upright, of course - and chilled at below 40 degrees for a week at least, they'll hold up to pouring most of the beer off. That sediment is one of the reasons I went to kegging. I can bottle from kegs if needed and there's no sediment at all in the bottles.
Thanks
been sitting now for 4/5 week and looking more firmly packed if I pour very slowly - I'll look into pricing up for some kegs

Reactions: J A
US-05 is a pretty clean yeast and a medium flocculator, if I remember correctly. First question: Did you rack the beer before packaging? If not, you might have sucked up some of the sediment. If you're getting a "yeasty" taste, one I usually perceive as sharp and unpleasant, that's likely it. I checked Safale's information and find that it isn't a good flocculator - next time you might consider racking and fining?
I added leaf hops towards the end of fermentation - my first attempt at dry hopping - next time I'll use pellets. Anyway I racked off to a second fermentation bin filtering through a plastic/muslin bag I use as a hop spider (I gave up with the cheap metal one I ebayed from China) then on into bottles - slight yeasty taste - next time I'll leave the racked beer for a bit before priming and bottling.

Thanks guys for all you replies here - great to be part of such an active forum ! :)

Back