Induction Cooktop Recommendations?

One thing you can do is get(or make) a temp alarm. Something that would give you an audible signal that temp is getting too hot
I've got one of these for grilling. Supposedly waterproof, but not sure if the probes would hold up to submersion in liquids though.
https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-TP-08S-Wireless-Thermometer-Grilling/dp/B014DAVHSQ/ref=sr_1_15?crid=2XI09LQDVJ81Q&keywords=grill+thermometer+for+outside+grill&qid=1661093086&sprefix=grill+therm,aps,220&sr=8-15

Nice that would work. Just don't submerge it. A simple paper clip could hang it on the side pointed down. As long as the tip is in the mash, it should read

Wow, things heated up much quicker for my Porter batch today. Weird. My mash, which seemed to be holding at 150ish, quickly took off to 180º while I was prepping stuff. I had turned the cooker off, but I should have taken the pot off the cooktop completely. I guess the reflectex insulation allowed the temps to climb as well. I was afraid the batch was ruined, but it may have spent at least 15 to 20 minutes at a reasonable mash temp. When I discovered the climb, I went ahead and ended the mash. The pre-boil gravity was a little higher than expected, but the post-boil was was 1.059 w/expected being 1.056, and the wort tasted sweet, so we'll see... Fermentation is off and running this morning. Fingers crossed that it doesn't stall out due to the shortened mash. Still got to learn this new system!

In reference to the above, I did a test today, and discovered it was probably me not stirring the mash again after raising strike temp from 149 to 152. When I stirred after 20 minutes, I guess the hotter water on the bottom got mixed in and raised the temp? Lesson: always stir mash after adding heat.

I have been using that model since 2019. It works well with a 24 quart stock pot for 5 gallon BIAB batches. It also works great for cooking down tomatoes to make spaghetti sauce or tomato sauce as it doesn't scorch like the gas stove or propane burners did. I use in my garage for brewing and canning or cooking stuff my wife won't allow me to cook in the house. Good luck with your brewing adventures.

I have been using that model since 2019. It works well with a 24 quart stock pot for 5 gallon BIAB batches. It also works great for cooking down tomatoes to make spaghetti sauce or tomato sauce as it doesn't scorch like the gas stove or propane burners did. I use in my garage for brewing and canning or cooking stuff my wife won't allow me to cook in the house. Good luck with your brewing adventures.
Yeah, it's worked out quite well. I enjoy the fact that I can bring it inside when the weather sucks.

Back