Induction Cooktop Recommendations?

Brownyard

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score

Looking to get off of the stovetop. Was thinking of propane, but not having to buy it, as well as not being able to bring it inside if need be, has me considering induction instead. Besides, my 22 qt brewpot is induction ready. I'd only be using it for 3 to 4 gallon batches. I'm limiting to 1800W units for use with standard outlets. I'm doing small batches so I want to use a 120v unit for more location options. I'm not looking for 220v options at this time. After a ton of research, I've narrowed it down to these three, which would all appear to do the job, and handle the weight of my batches. Any input?

Max Burton 6600 Looks neat because of the larger cook surface, and the temp probe, but reviews aren't particularly reassuring.
https://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-6600-Digital-Induction/dp/B07QD7FZTP/ref=sr_1_59?crid=1D6X07Y058TYU&keywords=induction+cooktop&qid=1660585909&sprefix=induction%2Caps%2C133&sr=8-59

Duxtop P961LS/BT-C35-D
Amazon.com: Duxtop Professional Portable Induction Cooktop, Commercial Range Countertop Burner, 1800 Watts Induction Burner with Sensor Touch and LCD Screen, P961LS/BT-C35-D : Everything Else
Amazon.com: Duxtop Professional Portable Induction Cooktop, Commercial Range Countertop Burner, 1800 Watts Induction Burner with Sensor Touch and LCD Screen, P961LS/BT-C35-D : Everything Else
www.amazon.com

Avantco IC 1800 https://www.webstaurantstore.com/av...DlMPJCAwhMU0kiVd2CkMebitbnJeEzWwaAghJEALw_wcB

Last edited:
For me, this
DERNORD 2 Inch Tri-Clamp 240V Water Heating Element Immersion U Type Electrical Brewing Boiler Heater (240V 3000W) https://a.co/d/eU8SzYs

Get a 2" triclamp bulkhead, done

I've also been looking at induction burners for 3.5 gallon batches. The weight limit has been a big limiting factor. Anything I found that could handle 50 lbs is 220V, or $500+.

I've also been looking at electric all-in-ones. For around $400 the Mash and Boil with pump seems a good deal. The anvil foundry is around that price point as well, but only has 6.5 gal capacity

I've also been looking at induction burners for 3.5 gallon batches. The weight limit has been a big limiting factor. Anything I found that could handle 50 lbs is 220V, or $500+.

I've also been looking at electric all-in-ones. For around $400 the Mash and Boil with pump seems a good deal. The anvil foundry is around that price point as well, but only has 6.5 gal capacity

All three I listed are 120v and rated 60 lbs & over.
Anvils do look good. May spring for one eventually...

Last edited:
All three I listed are rated 60 lbs & over.
Anvils do look good. May spring for one eventually...
Good to know, I will check those out. An induction burner would hopefully reduce the time it takes to hit strike temp and reach boiling

I like that the Foundry is both 120V and 220V. Someday in the future I could install a 220 outlet and change the plug on the machine and it'll be good to go. But 6.5 gallons means being stuck at 3-3.5 gallon batches forever. The mash and boil would allow for 4-4.5 gal batches, which is good for my fermenter size

It's in a small pantry, in the kitchen. Trying to get outside.
just have to get creative. I use the dry socket for my setup. bought a 6ga 3 conductor RV cord to go the 40 ft from my brewery to the socket.

I do understand having something off the shelf too. but just consider that at 240V, you use 1/2 the current for the same wattage. if you decide to go bigger in the future a 50A socket and cord will upgrade to 12000 watts :p

My stove is gas but it is also setup for electric so I use the electric stove receptacle and a really long extension cord to the basement at the far end of the house.

I have the Duxtop from Amazon. I constantly use !one for every day use plus brewing. Its also 1800v.

I have the Duxtop from Amazon. I constantly use !one for every day use plus brewing. Its also 1800v.
Got it today. Used it to cook some ham tonight, so we know it works. Seems to be well built, and can take 65 lbs. I'll be checking times and boil off rate tomorrow.

Made my last 4 batches this way…

Duxtop 1800w Silver 8120MC/BT-180G3 (Amazon)
GasOne BS-32 8Gallon (Amazon)
  1. 3 gallon pre boil
  2. Set to power level to 10. Change to temperature 210f when at 160f. It will hold 160 for 45 minutes to steep.
  3. After steep go back to power level 10. Needs lid to get the boil faster. Nice roll thereafter.
  4. If adding late fermentables, it will drop to 205f but boils again in a couple minutes.
Love the setup so far. I hooked the chiller up to the wash machine water line and discharge in the mud room and can make inside during a rainy day. It works great and pleased with the induction

Well, today's test shows the Duxtop takes about twice as long, 36 minutes, to take 3 gallons of 160 water to boil than my electric stove top. Lid on and wrapped and covered in one layer of Reflextix. Not a deal breaker, and I reckon I'll be able to better this with time, but those claims of it being faster than a stove top, at least for this purpose, just don't seem to add up.

I'll post future results.

Last edited:
Well, today's test shows the Duxtop takes about twice as long, 36 minutes, to take 3 gallons of 160 water to boil than my electric stove top. Lid on and wrapped and covered in one layer of Reflextix. Not a deal breaker, and I reckon I'll be able to better this with time, but those claims of it being faster than a stove top, at least for this purpose, just don't seem to add up.

I'll post future results.
That’s consistent with what I get on mine.

Wow, things heated up much quicker for my Porter batch today. Weird. My mash, which seemed to be holding at 150ish, quickly took off to 180º while I was prepping stuff. I had turned the cooker off, but I should have taken the pot off the cooktop completely. I guess the reflectex insulation allowed the temps to climb as well. I was afraid the batch was ruined, but it may have spent at least 15 to 20 minutes at a reasonable mash temp. When I discovered the climb, I went ahead and ended the mash. The pre-boil gravity was a little higher than expected, but the post-boil was was 1.059 w/expected being 1.056, and the wort tasted sweet, so we'll see... Fermentation is off and running this morning. Fingers crossed that it doesn't stall out due to the shortened mash. Still got to learn this new system!

One thing you can do is get(or make) a temp alarm. Something that would give you an audible signal that temp is getting too hot

Back