I brewed today!

Just a few hours later
View attachment 28492
I gather you're using the spunding valve for a vent? Makes sense, because everything's positive pressure with CO2, if only a little bit. I take it you'll crank the pressure up at some stage of the fermentation? What keeps the krausen from climbing up and fouling the regulator? Or is low krausen a trait of Voss? I killed a couple air-locks with krausen (S-bubblers) because there was no way to clean them. I learned about repitch (over pitching) S04 the hard way. S04 gets pretty crazy when it starts out strong. I exclusively use 3-piece floating bell airlocks now. Didja buy the whole spunding assembly, or DIY it from parts?

Not questioning what you do, just examining (and learning from) your methods. I collect as much information as possible before I start making process/hardware changes.

I gather you're using the spunding valve for a vent? Makes sense, because everything's positive pressure with CO2, if only a little bit. I take it you'll crank the pressure up at some stage of the fermentation? What keeps the krausen from climbing up and fouling the regulator? Or is low krausen a trait of Voss? I killed a couple air-locks with krausen (S-bubblers) because there was no way to clean them. I learned about repitch (over pitching) S04 the hard way. S04 gets pretty crazy when it starts out strong. I exclusively use 3-piece floating bell airlocks now. Didja buy the whole spunding assembly, or DIY it from parts?

Not questioning what you do, just examining (and learning from) your methods. I collect as much information as possible before I start making process/hardware changes.
Yes, I open the spunding valve up initially, and begin turning it in a bit at a time when/if appropriate. I am not 100% certain but I think that S-04 doesn't do well under pressure, so I don't start adjusting until near the end of fermentation to "spund". There is a ton of headspace in that fermenter, I have never had krausen get anywhere near the top. Fermenting under pressure does however keep the krausen to a minimum.

Yes, I open the spunding valve up initially, and begin turning it in a bit at a time when/if appropriate. I am not 100% certain but I think that S-04 doesn't do well under pressure, so I don't start adjusting until near the end of fermentation to "spund". There is a ton of headspace in that fermenter, I have never had krausen get anywhere near the top. Fermenting under pressure does however keep the krausen to a minimum.
I've fermented S04 up to 12 PSI during active fermentation. Seems to do alright. I usually ferment ale yeasts to use higher ferm temps, so I'm not sure about decreasing ester production

I've fermented S04 up to 12 PSI during active fermentation. Seems to do alright. I usually ferment ale yeasts to use higher ferm temps, so I'm not sure about decreasing ester production
Good to know, thanks for sharing!

I have never had krausen get anywhere near the top. Fermenting under pressure does however keep the krausen to a minimum.
Noted. And lucky you. I’ve had S04 climb 8 inches of headspace in my FF7.9. Never on fresh dry pitch, but I can count on at least 4” of krausen if I repitch S04 or S05. Weird, considering I try to slow it down with cooler fermentation temperatures.

I didn't think I'd get to brew this weekend, but fate smiled upon me! Pale ale with Talus and Motueka
20240225_155206.jpg

Getting ready to mash in on this year’s Barleywine. Long brew day ahead of me today. 90 minute mash and boil. Shooting for at least 1.090-1.095. We shall see.

Base Pale Malt on left, a mix of complimentary grains on the right. I’m not looking forward to yanking these out of the pot later. :oops:

1711285141564.jpeg

I brewed Zambi's Belgian yesterday.
This is with just about 5 minutes to go in the boil recirculating through counter flow chiller.
The 5 minute hop addition hanging on the side of the kettle went "over the top" moments later.
My brew days get smoother and smoother as I get use to this new system :)

1711294678937.png

I brewed Zambi's Belgian yesterday.
This is with just about 5 minutes to go in the boil recirculating through counter flow chiller.
The 5 minute hop addition hanging on the side of the kettle went "over the top" moments later.
My brew days get smoother and smoother as I get use to this new system :)

View attachment 28873

At first I tried to figure out why you’d be circling boiling wort through the CFC while still boiling. Seems rather inefficient. Yep, I was overthinking it again. DUHHHHH. Same reason I put my chiller in the batch at 10 minutes! Probably a pretty smart idea to let the boiling wort sanitize the chiller, eh?

Back