I brewed today!

Kettles are 7.5 gallons
Batches sizes are 3.5-4.5 gallons
I cover the mash tun
Adding water to the grain creates fewer dough balls in my experience, and less lifting for me to do
Look at you with your pump, your ball valves, and two vessels!
How have your brew days gone so far?
I always seem to have some kind of mishap when I change something in my process...
Here is hoping you always remember to close valves, and that you don't end up spraying hot wort all over the apartment!
Kidding aside, this should make things easier on your back, hope it works well for you!

Look at you with your pump, your ball valves, and two vessels!
How have your brew days gone so far?
I always seem to have some kind of mishap when I change something in my process...
Here is hoping you always remember to close valves, and that you don't end up spraying hot wort all over the apartment!
Kidding aside, this should make things easier on your back, hope it works well for you!
You made me shudder. It is a most unpleasant feeling when a valve gets accidentally opened, or worse yet, you realize that you didn't have the QD fully connected. You learn (the hard way) to slow down and make sure nothing is getting near those long-handled valves.

You made me shudder. It is a most unpleasant feeling when a valve gets accidentally opened, or worse yet, you realize that you didn't have the QD fully connected. You learn (the hard way) to slow down and make sure nothing is getting near those long-handled valves.
That is why I leave the valve handle disconnected. I make sure the valve is in the closed position before I fill the kettle, and the handle sits in a tool kit until I need it, at the end of the brew day.

That is why I leave the valve handle disconnected. I make sure the valve is in the closed position before I fill the kettle, and the handle sits in a tool kit until I need it, at the end of the brew day.
Yeah, the handle on the one on my pump is very short, and not nearly as easily to accidentally turn. If it gets turned, it was meant to be (for the right reason or not). The valve itself is a lot smaller too. Those 4-inch levers make turning that valve WAY too easy. I see a mod to them in my future. I like them (or SOMETHING) on the shaft so I know which way it's turned with a glance. It wouldn't be a big problem to shorten them or make something that serves the purpose. Pretty sure I could get something at a hardware store somewhere. I turn mine to a 45 degree angle when I store the kettles and pump so the valve can dry out fully and not grow new life forms. Being hot-side, I don't worry too much about the sanitation. Boiling does wonders for that. But I do occasionally disassemble and clean the beer stone out of them. The great thing about teflon and stainless steel is BOTH can stand up to some pretty harsh chemicals. I've found CLR to be excellent for getting off beer stone. Heating up some vinegar does a pretty good inside the kettle, too. That's about as food-safe as it gets.

It wouldn't be homebrewing with the occasional mishap!!!

image.jpg
Hot break!

I brewed today! 3rd batch using a 2 kettle system. I'm still chasing a moving target it seems with how much water to use, but I'llget it dialed in soon (I hope). I borrowed a 2 roller mill to grind my pre-milled grain for a better crush and got much better extraction than previous attempts. I boiled for 90 minutes and hit my target OG without needing DME this time. One part of my new setup that I love was adding a QD to the water inlet of the wort chiller. Now I can send hot water from the sink for cleaning by moving the hose to the whirlpool fitting on my boil kettle. Previously I was pouring hot water one pitcher at a time from the sink
20231203_163016.jpg

Today I brewed a Hazy Juicy Chewy, or at least that is the goal. Trying for 7.5%, which is higher than last time, and should have boosted mash water volume with less in sparse, since dough balls appeared for first time. Missed pre-boil gravity and ended up adding corn sugar, which allowed me to hit the OG spot on.
Yesterday I brewed a simple wheat beer for my next deposit into a Cantillon barrel, with a similar sized withdrawal. Maybe passionfruit this time. If you know a good recipe, for secondary fermentation on passionfruit let me know.

Back