I brewed today!

The name is definitely based on the slang meaning of the word!

Brewing a blonde today
Crisp pale ale and a little wheat malt
Hallertau blanc and Saaz
Voss kveik
IMG_20231111_121651_642.jpg

IMG_20231111_121702_980.jpg

And the last pic doesnt want to load for some obscure reason

Impatiently waiting for sample to cool down for OG reading ......

Immersion cooler doing it's thing. Probably should have just waited for cool-down. Should be pitching within a half hour or so.

Smells yummy, though with the Citra hops. This could turn into a go-to drinker along with the Rapier Wit. Might have a look at an extract recipe with this combo if the outcome is good. I can typically do extract recipes in the kitchen, albeit, now that it's remodeled...... The missus might not mind, though. She likes the aroma of the Rapier Wit. This smells even better. Well, to me it does.

I brewed a Saison today. Only the 2nd one since I had to dump the first a few years ago.
Good to get back on the horse.
I'd put it down to yeast choice Clint.?
One of my worst beer comp scores was a saison 24 from memory it was a stinker!:confused:.

I've brewed many more since then and entered more into competition but not under the saison section lol:rolleyes::p

Great to see all these Brew day Photos Folks I like seeing all your brew rigs...

I liked both of mine. It takes a little patience to let it sit for a couple of weeks once in the bottles or keg.
Nice, simple recipes, and I tried to go hot after low krausen to get a little character out of it.
After one of the contributors here and someone at a homebrew festival both gave me the same idea, I want to try one with some lemon zest.

Very busy fermenter today. An over pitched fermenter makes for some rather strange colors in combination with colors from the hops. Most of the StarSan solution was blown out of the airlock, so I filled that back up. Probably should have used plain water for it. Eventually, I'll remember to make a blow-off rig and make sure it can't siphon back into the fermenter. Just a matter of using less water than it takes to fill up the hose.

Impatiently waiting for sample to cool down for OG reading ......

Immersion cooler doing it's thing. Probably should have just waited for cool-down. Should be pitching within a half hour or so.

Smells yummy, though with the Citra hops. This could turn into a go-to drinker along with the Rapier Wit. Might have a look at an extract recipe with this combo if the outcome is good. I can typically do extract recipes in the kitchen, albeit, now that it's remodeled...... The missus might not mind, though. She likes the aroma of the Rapier Wit. This smells even better. Well, to me it does.
What did you hit post boil Roadie 1.058?

Very busy fermenter today. An over pitched fermenter makes for some rather strange colors in combination with colors from the hops. Most of the StarSan solution was blown out of the airlock, so I filled that back up. Probably should have used plain water for it. Eventually, I'll remember to make a blow-off rig and make sure it can't siphon back into the fermenter. Just a matter of using less water than it takes to fill up the hose.
Are you using a 3 piece bell airlock? I have used one of those before with an active fermentation. If you have the right size hose to fit the inner cylinder, just remove the cap and the bell, put the hose on the inner cylinder, then drop the hose down into a jar below the level of the airlock. I would use StarSan in the jar, not water.

Are you using a 3 piece bell airlock? I have used one of those before with an active fermentation. If you have the right size hose to fit the inner cylinder, just remove the cap and the bell, put the hose on the inner cylinder, then drop the hose down into a jar below the level of the airlock. I would use StarSan in the jar, not water.
I do this on the speidel if I don't have space for that big airlock.
Actually contemplating getting a second valve and screwing that on the top to use as blow off tube (in combination with pipe and water bottle of course)

What did you hit post boil Roadie 1.058?
Yep. A lot higher than I expected with 2-Row. Recipe maker said 1.045ish for pre-boil but I blew that out of the water at 1.050. I brought the pre-boil volume up to 6+ gallons with three batch sparges rather than just diluting with water. Even then, I was still getting some 'color' from the grains. I'm not really trying to hit targets. I'm just collecting information about what effects my techniques have. Boiling loss was about a gallon, perhaps slightly more. Couldn't see the 5 gallon mark after boil, but it was close. Probably could have put another gallon sparge on the grains and had a bit more volume to put in the fermenter and lowered the OG a bit. 1.058 might put the S-33 to sleep before it finishes. It's supposed to be good up to 9%, but we'll see.

Still learning to manage and work around my losses. I absolutely HATE pouring anything out that I worked so hard to make, but I'm also trying to learn how to better clarify the beer as I experiment with different malts and hops to home in on what I like and don't like. It's all experimenting now rather than just doing someone else's recipe and hoping I like it. I'm intentionally using a medium floc yeast to make me work at the clarifying techniques. Halfway through fermentation, S-33 will make a blonde turn a bright orange color and super cloudy. Really scary looking, but smells like ya just walked into a bread factory when ya open the door on the fermenting fridge. The warmer the temp, the breadier the aroma. I've learned to ignore strange colors in the unfinished products. Odors on the other hand, I try to be keenly aware of. Any hint of sulfur gets investigated immediately.

Exactly what I'm using. Made the mistake of using the double bubble airlock on a repitch batch ONE time. No way to clean one of those out that I could figure out. Tossed it rather than let it break my streak with zero infections.

Absolutely, the jar would have a StarSan solution, not just plain water. I just said water because it takes so little StarSan to sanitize. I buy the stuff in the big bottles now. I also keep a spray bottle handy with a mix in it. When I open the door on the fermenting fridge, the first thing I do is spray my hands, then anything inside the fridge that I plan to touch. Seems a bit anal, I'm sure, but I just don't want to lose a batch. As I close things back up, I spray again and wipe dry with a clean towel. Lower moisture outside the fermenter is more insurance against contamination.

When I'm not fermenting, I leave the door of the fermenting fridge slightly open so that it stays dry inside and doesn't mold. Learned that lesson the hard way too.

1.056 I came in at I guess I didn't use enough mash water and overshot my gravity which is perfect well better than undershooting right.

Hop Stand for the keg Taiheke 25g don't wanna over do it for this wheat beer wanna be (maybe I'll call it that lol)
20231118_122157.jpg

I diluted this down 2.5 lt it'll recieve 1 lt RWS to bring it up nearer to the top maybe risky being a wheat beer I'll see what the starter does now it's got more gravity in it.

Diluted the keggle down 2lt it hit 1.048 my expected OG now WP smells Fing amazing 50g Vic Secret 25g Zamba.
It'll get the same on Dry hop.

Awesome brew day other than that stoggy sparge to be expected with buckwheat that shoit scares me man!
20231118_123123.jpg

Right looks like a bomb hit the Joint lol! :oops: :D

Last edited:

Back