Hose for CO2 tank to regulator

Brewer #334545

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I bought a taprite dual pressure regulator and my kegerator and can’t fit my 10 lb tank on the inside with 2 kegs in there.
I was wondering the best way about getting a hose to have my regulator on the inside and tank on the outside.
My kegerator only has one hole out the back and I really don’t want to drill one into it.
I read that CO2 tanks take a CGA 320 connector, but I can’t seem to find a braided steel hose with those m/F connectors.
I also see my regulator input looks to be 3/8” but the back says left handed and looks to be brass, don’t want to damage it.

-Will

You can't fit two hoses through your hole? That'd be my preference, as you'll need to handle some pretty high pressures between the cylinder and the compressor (probably higher than tubing will cope).

What brand is your kegerator? Some have fairly predictable locations so you can drill through safely. If not, there's a few hints out there on finding where to drill. This one helps you find the compressor tubing:

Note that the pressure between the tank and the regulator is 500-700 psig, so you need a pretty stout hose.

I would be inclined to add the 2nd hole. The manufacturer should be able to tell you where to drill the extra hole.

Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen a regulator in a separate location on a homebrew level. I'll be most interested to see how this plays out. I would however much rather have my regulator outside my keezer if possible. I've just been to lazy to drill the extra holes to move it out.

I think that will be extremely unsafe, there is a reason that the regulator is on the tank.

Just drill another hole.

Yeah, 700 PSI is nontrivial

The pressure is not super high (for reference, SCUBA tank fill hoses are typically rated to 5000 psi) but it's definitely not something you can assemble at home from parts, it needs to be professionally made to be safe. You'd need to find a shop making high pressure gas or hydraulic lines to make it for you, unless you can find a reseller who has the specific combination you need on shelf.

yeah standard HP Steel braided hose from hardware stores can handle these pressure quite easily I am struggling finding connectors.

Well, my 1st question would be, "Why do you want to put the Regulator inside the kegerator?" Put the tank outside with the Regulator & run the hose from the Regulator to the Keg.
I have always been puzzled why people put the CO2 tank inside the cooler. If you use Propane outdoors you are familiar with the effect of low temperatures on compresed gas. Besides, the tank uses up room that should have a keg sitting on it. Mine hangs on the wall outside the fridge at room temperature & full pressure. I used a Fire Extinguisher bracket to hold the tank.

Hey 56,
if you take a read at the post,
I got a new regulator that runs two hoses off the regulator, and it cant fit in the existing hole.
i would like to have regulator inside by a hose (no tank) instead of having to hack up my kegerator.

hope this clarifies.

Sorry, didn't notice the 2 hose issue. Contact the manufacturer to confirm safest location to increase the size of the hole & run them both through the same hole. Way safer/easier than trying to find SS braided hose with correct ends.

I'll break one of my own rules and give an answer to a question you weren't exactly asking... Have you considered leaving the regulator at the tank, cap one of the outputs, run a single line into the fridge, and have a splitter (shown below) in the fridge to run multiple lines from? I feel the same way about drilling holes in my fridge because it's a nice, modern fridge and I don't want to mangle it.

39146.png

I'll break one of my own rules and give an answer to a question you weren't exactly asking... Have you considered leaving the regulator at the tank, cap one of the outputs, run a single line into the fridge, and have a splitter (shown below) in the fridge to run multiple lines from? I feel the same way about drilling holes in my fridge because it's a nice, modern fridge and I don't want to mangle it.

39146.png
He's got a dual pressure reg. It operates different pressures. 2 lines. Different serving pressures. A single line would defeat the purpose of having a dual reg.
Keep us posted if you figure out how to make this work.

So, dothe 2 hoses allow different pressures? If no use 1 of mrskittles manifolds. That's what I did.

Maybe this could be an option? You'd need another single reg though.

I read that CO2 tanks take a CGA 320 connector, but I can’t seem to find a braided steel hose with those m/F connectors.

You will be able to find plenty of CGA 320 F to CGA 320 F adapters with a whip. They are intended to fill a CO2 cylinder from another. I do that all the time. search amazon https://www.amazon.com/s?k=CGA320+adapter

You will just need to remove one of the adapters and screw it into the regulator. Since the pressure is only 60 bar or so there are plenty of fittings that will meet your needs. McMaster-Carr will have ones rated for use in a CO2 system.

That said, I don't recommend doing this. It's better to have the regulator outside of the kegerator as others have noted anyway. It's simple to drill another hole. I like to use a bulkhead fitting but you don't need to if you protect the low pressure line from the edges of the hole.

Hey 56,
if you take a read at the post,
I got a new regulator that runs two hoses off the regulator, and it cant fit in the existing hole.
i would like to have regulator inside by a hose (no tank) instead of having to hack up my kegerator.

hope this clarifies.
Expand the hole? Drill a new one? Both solutions much easier and safer than trying to run a hose from the tank to the regulator.

yeah standard HP Steel braided hose from hardware stores can handle these pressure quite easily I am struggling finding connectors.
You need to understand how much trapped energy you are dealing with. You need to be sure that whatever hose you use that it is made by someone who knows what they are doing. If that hose were to fail, you don't want anyone nearby, the damage that could be done would devastating.

Your kegerator, amongst other things could/would be destroyed.
High pressure hose and fittings is what I do for a living, trust me, your are putting you and your family in grave danger. lf you buy hose from the hardware store, and get some fittings from who knows where, you are asking for trouble.

Back