Home made pizza

Is anyone doing a pre-bake on their shells?
I was experimenting with real crispy thin crust and I'm liking a 1 minute bake on the shell on each side on a 500° stone.
I rolled the dough for thickness consistency but don't like how the edges come out.
Next time I'll form and hand toss before the pre-bake.
I did succeed with a very thin crunchy bottom though.
Cheers
I do sometimes pre-bake, but not using a stone, at a lower temp (425) and a longer time (5 minutes). The crust often wants to blow up a big air pocket. It is good for a crisp crust though. My last few pies I have skipped the pre-bake, with good results.

Is anyone doing a pre-bake on their shells?
I was experimenting with real crispy thin crust and I'm liking a 1 minute bake on the shell on each side on a 500° stone.
I rolled the dough for thickness consistency but don't like how the edges come out.
Next time I'll form and hand toss before the pre-bake.
I did succeed with a very thin crunchy bottom though.
Cheers
Hand toss mate it's all roller for me here.

Saturday, I'm doing pizza for moms birthday.
I'll do at least 12 pies for the family.
I'll do a couple deep dish in cast iron, some regular hand tossed and some thin and crispy ones.
I'll try to remember to get some pictures, but there will be beer involved, so no promises!
Cheers!

I think i made a neopolitan before, Any tips for making a thin, crackery crust?

The crust often wants to blow up a big air pocket.
Poke holes in it. Use a tool (not sure what it's called) that looks like a pointy star wheel, like a screen spline setter but pointy like a cowboy's spurs. Or just a fork.

I think i made a neopolitan before, Any tips for making a thin, crackery crust?
Well, the dough has to be particularly thin for crackery. Then cook it on a pre-heated stone at least 500F. The very hot stone doesn't let the dough's moisture stay around to soften things. A trick is to slide the pizza from a pizza pan turned rim down onto the stone, unless you have one of those huge wooden pizza sticks (looks like a shuffleboard stick). Pre-bake the crust a couple minutes to get it to start to harden (OK on the pizza pan), then pull it out, sauch & top it, then onto the hot stone for a couple of minutes. Oil in the dough helps a bit for crisping too.

For me, after stretching or rolling the dough, I just put it on my wood peel and slide it onto the hot stone for a minute.
I have played around with flipping it and putting it right on the oven rack and that seems to work well too.
Then the bake is only between 4 and 5 minutes, but that will be oven and topping specific.
In the end, you always make pizza, so it's all good!
Cheers

thanks for the tips. i had a delishious thin cracker crust pizza with sliced meatballs at a restaurant last week. mmmm

I whipped up a pizza dough before work this morning, then left it in the fridge to do it’s thing. Tonight I made the pie, in that sweet spot between thin crust and deep dish, baking it at 475 (50 degrees hotter than normal) and one rack lower than usual. It was topped with Trader Joe’s pizza sauce and Quattro Formaggi blend, German prosciutto, mushrooms, onions and thinly sliced hot red pepper. I am very pleased with the result.

I whipped up a pizza dough before work this morning, then left it in the fridge to do it’s thing. Tonight I made the pie, in that sweet spot between thin crust and deep dish, baking it at 475 (50 degrees hotter than normal) and one rack lower than usual. It was topped with Trader Joe’s pizza sauce and Quattro Formaggi blend, German prosciutto, mushrooms, onions and thinly sliced hot red pepper. I am very pleased with the result.
Hey you know when you put the dough in the fridge for the day does it rise?

Different yeast will act differently, surprised?
I have 2 yeast strains that I prefer and they both are aggressive, even for the 1st day in the fridge.
The dough also tastes better after a day in the fridge and can stay in there for ~ 3 days before it eventually just over proofs and need to be tossed.

I made 15 pies last Saturday and didn't snap 1 picture .
I will say, for the thin crust, I prefer to hand stretch and toss instead of rolling out.
I also will pre bake that shell for a minute or 2 on each side prior to topping it.
Cheers

Cast iron pan pizza, got a pizza email and thought I can do that lol
IMG_20210820_173716284_copy_1024x1365.jpg

I'm rolling up the dough I made yesterday.
25% whole wheat for this one.
I'm going to experiment with some different size doughs. I'm thinking a personal size one that's 222 grams and a thick crust regular one at 444 grams.
My normal is 333 grams and comes out nicely, so maybe a couple of those too.
I'll try to remember to get some pictures.
Cheers,
Brian

Well, I didn't take any pictures, but I did a couple of things differently.
The 444 gram dough I did 2 ways, one as a regular pie, pre-baked shell, then topped and baked again for 7 minutes. Came out great.
The other I did as a deep dish in cast iron, baked for 25 minutes and was still underdone.
After I cooled, cut and tried a piece, I put it back in the hot oven and just let it sit. Eventually, it was good, bit it took a while.
The other ones all came out great!
Cheers

Trying a new flour.
King Arthur 00 pizza flour.
I figured I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and follow their recipe.
Higher hydration than I use (73% vs 63%).
The flour is the softest I've ever used and handles very differently so far.
I did a hydration rest and 2 folds, about a 6 hour total rise and then into the fridge for overnight.
I'll pull it in the morning and ball it up for a bake tomorrow night.

Balled up the doughs in the morning and then back into the fridge until 2 hours before starting.
I had to be really careful with the dough as they were super soft and sticky. I formed them on a floured counter and could barely get them up and onto a peel as they didn't have much elasticity.
Topped lightly and into a 475° convection oven on a stone.
6 minutes and then moved directly onto the oven rack.
The cam out beautiful with a nice crispy bottom, big puffy crust and a nice chew as well. After I rest and cut, the piece can hold up the toppings without and drooping.
Equal to the best I've ever made.
Cheers,
Brian

Back