Holiday Spiced Stout

Discussion in 'Recipes for Feedback' started by Ginger Devil, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Ginger Devil

Ginger Devil New Member

2. thehaze

thehaze Active Member

Too much Carafa ( if it is not the Carafa Special Type, then you definitely need to get it much lower ).

I would say 5% Roasted malt and 4-5% Chocolate malt ( I actually enjoy Chocolate malt in dark ales ) should be OK. Drop the Carafa as it is not as strong as the roasted barley.

For the crystal/caramel malts: I usually mix a high lovibond crystal and a medium one to get some complexity in there. Something like Special B/ Crystal 120L-Crystal 140-150L ( english ) and some crystal 60-80L.

But I am fairly sure you would still make a delicious beer brewing it the way you created the recipe.

But I would however try to lower the qty of roasted grains. Make sure to adjust your water and mash pH for the style. Seeing this will have a lot of roasted malts, you will not need to add any acid to adjust pH, and possibly will need to raise the mash pH using baking soda.

Trialben and Ginger Devil like this.
  3. Ginger Devil

Ginger Devil New Member

Thank you for your advice on the Carafa. I will try bumping it down to 5% and raising the Chocolate malt to 5%.

4. J A

J A Well-Known Member

Yeah...Definitely lower that Carafa...you'll have a lot of ash-tray flavor if you use that much burnt malt. I'd skip it altogether and use some C-120 and Special B to add some interesting flavors and a little bit of color and then maybe up the roasted barley a little along with the Chocolate.

Ginger Devil likes this.