Holiday Spiced Stout

Too much Carafa ( if it is not the Carafa Special Type, then you definitely need to get it much lower ).

I would say 5% Roasted malt and 4-5% Chocolate malt ( I actually enjoy Chocolate malt in dark ales ) should be OK. Drop the Carafa as it is not as strong as the roasted barley.

For the crystal/caramel malts: I usually mix a high lovibond crystal and a medium one to get some complexity in there. Something like Special B/ Crystal 120L-Crystal 140-150L ( english ) and some crystal 60-80L.

But I am fairly sure you would still make a delicious beer brewing it the way you created the recipe.

But I would however try to lower the qty of roasted grains. Make sure to adjust your water and mash pH for the style. Seeing this will have a lot of roasted malts, you will not need to add any acid to adjust pH, and possibly will need to raise the mash pH using baking soda.

Too much Carafa ( if it is not the Carafa Special Type, then you definitely need to get it much lower ).

I would say 5% Roasted malt and 4-5% Chocolate malt ( I actually enjoy Chocolate malt in dark ales ) should be OK. Drop the Carafa as it is not as strong as the roasted barley.

Thank you for your advice on the Carafa. I will try bumping it down to 5% and raising the Chocolate malt to 5%.

Yeah...Definitely lower that Carafa...you'll have a lot of ash-tray flavor if you use that much burnt malt. I'd skip it altogether and use some C-120 and Special B to add some interesting flavors and a little bit of color and then maybe up the roasted barley a little along with the Chocolate.

Back