Harvest

Took your advice @BOB357 I'm picking what tomatoes I can get to before the catapillars can. Anyone got a good tomatoes chutney recipie? There might me some use for them spoilt ones other than hooiking them into the chook pen...:rolleyes:.
20181029_152520.jpg

20181029_161353.jpg

Me, I'd start hooiking. Let the chooks have them.

(what the hell did I just say?) :D
My spelling and grammar dont help lol but hooik is my word for throw or toss.
I ended up making some chutney

what I do with mine since you cant slice over ripe tomatoes and eat without turning to mush I just vacuum packed all tomatoes at the ripe stage or a little under then froze all 50 or so whole, when they thaw the skin comes right off and they turn to mush but that's good for cooking, no blanching needed

Not sure on the weights but just pulled a clump of tumeric and a clump of ginger for tumeric ginger beer brew I've decided to undertake today regardless of set backs including pump not working.
20190529_121652.jpg

On the left is ginger on the right is tumeric.
You can see why were one of the biggest ginger growing regions in the world here it just goes bonkers. See its green or white ginger 1st year there is a small section of brown ginger at base of one of the clumps.

I'll clean some of this up removing all soil and wack it in late in my ginger ninger brew!

Are ya gonna dove tail them so they fit into the brew proper?

Are ya gonna dove tail them so they fit into the brew proper?
Ha ha actually grated up a big pile it's either gunna make it or break this brew I'm quietly optimistic I will taste the fermentation and think weather to add more post fermentation. I'm still gunna hop stand this with 20g citra for 20-30. I grated 260 g tumeric and 140 of ginger:p!

Have a look at this boys and girls pulled the rest of me Tumeric out the ground today 8kgs of the stuff!:)
20190728_114447.jpg

Look how phat some of them roots are that there be juicy Tumeric better than the scrawny little pinky finger sized stuff they sell at the shops!
20190728_112133.jpg
gunna post some up on the share harvest sight that's too much for me. For a brew I'd use one or two fingers worth gets it nice and earthy.

Anyway anyone thinking of growing these the mothers are at bottom left on that table you dry them out in the shed and plant them as the weather is heating back up before summer.
See all that Tumeric I got that off two mother rhyzomes planted last summer!

WOW! Nothing else can be said. Nice harvest!

Gardening related got one of my raised garden beds built today. Man I am buggered moving soil is hard work but gratifying when job complete.
20190804_165440.jpg

It's 2m x 1m wide 800mm high posts are hard wood. I got to fill them yet:eek: will put some geo textile sheating down then rocks then free wood.chip mulch then top soil.
20190804_164537.jpg

Last edited:
You might consider putting a wood rail across the top of that metal. Metal causes nasty cuts. And you could lean on it while working in the bed.

Looks great! Your corrugated must be a lot thicker than what we get over here. Ours is so thin that it would never hold up for that use.

Looks great! Your corrugated must be a lot thicker than what we get over here. Ours is so thin that it would never hold up for that use.
I hope so anyhow bob:) the fella that inspired me said the iron won't bow out I'm trusting him so far. I have thought about putting a tie rod in the middle. @Head First yeah I put some rubber liner on the edge of the iron you can see it in the first photo. That my edge protection.

Got them raised gardens filled now. If you search hugelkulture that's sorta the theam of what I'm trying here. A heap of old logs were placed down the bottom followed by wood chip mulch then some compost then some top soil. Now I'll mix in some poo and worm castings ect ECT let it sit A week or two then get PLANTING for spring.

Attachments

• 20190817_142953.jpg
    20190817_142953.jpg
    444.5 KB · Views: 224
Nice beds. Sounds funny you going into spring. We're soon heading into fall.

Nice beds. Sounds funny you going into spring. We're soon heading into fall.
Yep I'm even seeing my hop bines wanting to shoot the cycle of the of life my friend makes you glad to be witness to it all;).

Didn't plant much of a garden this year. We were on vacation when I usually plant. Got a couple of tomato plants in before we left, even though it was before the danger of frost ended. The first pic is a plant that only had a few leaves left after the last frost. The other pic is a plant that was about 25' away and wasn't damaged at all. We've been getting about a 2 gallon bucket off of the two a day for the last few days and they're just hitting their peak.
SS.jpg
NS.jpg

Planted a few peppers when we got home from Ireland. They're just starting to load up with fruit, although I have picked a few Jalapenos.

Back