German Pils

Nola_Brew

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Looking to brew one in the coming weeks.

Is there any reason to add any other malt besides German Pilsner? I've seen some using a touch of victory malt and some with a little melanoidin malt.

Grain: German Pils
Hops: I'll be using Warrior for bittering and the rest will be Hallertau Mit
Yeast: Wyeast 2124

Going to aim for about 45 IBU;s. Probably a little out of style but I'm good with that.
Mash between 150-152

No dry hops

Ferment 50 then raise to 65 for a week then cold crash and keg. I'll try and store in my keezer for a month before tapping but that schedule may change.

i do my Pils with a 10% Vienna and 10% CaraFoam, makes it a touch sweeter which I enjoy.

Carafoam for head retention acidulated for mash pH control, a very light touch of Vienna for complexity. No melanoidin, tastes like ballpoint pen ink. Do all your bittering with noble hops. Of anything, ferment a few degrees cooler than 50 degrees. My 2 cents...

Mine gets 100% Pilsner malt and 4 kettle hop additions. I bitter to about 42 IBUs and use a bitter water profile to help promote a dry crisp beer. I don't think other character malts are necessary for German Pils but think they work well is something more like a BoPils

Last edited:
Floor malted weyerman bohemian pilsner malt %100 35ibus with Sazz fermented 34/70
Has been my take gee I need to brew this this summer.

Good luck with it NOLA

I'll be using Warrior for bittering
Why? Piney hops have no place in this style. You could argue that an American Pils could push into IPA/Pale hop flavor profile but I think you'd be doing a disservice to any decent German-style malt-driven beer.
Magnum/Mittlefruh is what I use is what I use when I'm not using Saaz.

Why? Piney hops have no place in this style. You could argue that an American Pils could push into IPA/Pale hop flavor profile but I think you'd be doing a disservice to any decent German-style malt-driven beer.
Magnum/Mittlefruh is what I use is what I use when I'm not using Saaz.
I saw Magnum in an article I was reading on Craft Beer and Brewing and they used Magnum for bittering. I have a bunch of warrior so I'll switch to that.
Thanks JA.

If only I had that kind of discipline... I’d never be able to have a keg on tap and leave it alone for month! Good luck on your brew!
Yeah not sure I will be able to condition it for a month. But i will give it a shot.

I have a bunch of warrior so I'll switch to that.
Just be aware that you're going to impart piney/citrus notes. Not a bad thing, necessarily, but not something that's a go-to for a German Pils.
I always use either Magnum or Warrior for bittering but I draw a distinction between malt-forward and hop-forward beers. For IPAs, Ambers and Pales I find Warrior is perfect. For lager, Marzen, Kolsch, etc, I find the more neutral/nobel flavor of Magnum to be more compatible.

Just be aware that you're going to impart piney/citrus notes. Not a bad thing, necessarily, but not something that's a go-to for a German Pils.
I always use either Magnum or Warrior for bittering but I draw a distinction between malt-forward and hop-forward beers. For IPAs, Ambers and Pales I find Warrior is perfect. For lager, Marzen, Kolsch, etc, I find the more neutral/nobel flavor of Magnum to be more compatible.
Are you saying if I use Magnum it will impart piney/citrus notes? I would like to be close to style as I can so using Warrior isnt a must do.

Are you saying if I use Magnum it will impart piney/citrus notes? I would like to be close to style as I can so using Warrior isnt a must do.

pretty sure he’s saying warrior will impart those things. Magnum would definitely be more suitable for a pils.

Maybe we were talking past one another.
Warrior will give the piney/citrus notes that will be out of place. If you have a lot of it on hand, use it for all your IPAs, etc.
Magnum is the better choice for your Pils recipe. It'll impart some flavor on it's own, but it tends toward very "noble", neutral hop presence with some floral and spice notes.
Magnum early and Mittelfruh late is my go-to combo for most Lager recipes.

Back