Fun with Isolation

Don't forget our numbers are crap, too. We aren't testing enough people to get proper data as to who has COVID, how many are asymptomatic, what the actual death rate is. That last number seems high until you realize the death rate is the number of people who died after having tested positive for COVID divided by the number of people tested. We have no idea what the disease is doing in the real world because for you to get a test in the US, you have to be pretty much hospitalized. So wear your mask in public, stay isolated as best you can, wash your hands frequently and, to quote Douglas Adams, don't panic.
I agree totally. Cases is a bad metric since it depends on testing. However it would be helpful to see a graph over time of daily tests, negatives and positives. Deaths from COVID is a more robust number as well as population. Together they are more robust than a death rate based on cases.

India then second largest population in the world isnt even on there neither.

this:
Randy and his beer tasting.jpg

Fortunate here. Still no reported cases in our county or any of the surrounding counties. Oldest daughter, who lives and works in Reno, had a scare. She's had some kind of bug for about 10 days. Finally talked her into getting tested and it's not COVID.

Fortunate here. Still no reported cases in our county or any of the surrounding counties. Oldest daughter, who lives and works in Reno, had a scare. She's had some kind of bug for about 10 days. Finally talked her into getting tested and it's not COVID.
Few that must be a huge relief. Glad to hear.

Good to here

That's great news Bob. I'm sure it was a huge relief!

One of our Friday night pub group has been in the ICU for a few weeks with covid. Very bad situation. His wife was in ICU also. She is back home, we don’t know his status of late. Another totally different situation, the husband had flu symptoms and tested positive. He is fine. His wife has no symptoms and is waiting for test results. What we really need at this point is a solid antivirus random sample test. Many of us may be immune having been exposed and asymptotic.

Very sorry to hear about this, I hope everyone recovers. There will no doubt be more of these stories getting closer, and closer to home in the coming weeks.

Stay home if you can freinds.

They have been saying 6 feet for distancing, consider that a minimum, 10 feet would be better.

I've spent the last few days getting a building ready that's going to be set up as a covid unit. It's an incredibly eerie feeling. Between that and my wife working the front lines, this really hits close to home.

Even though we're in an area with no cases, we're taking the normal precautions. Would be stupid not to. A false sense of security is just asking for trouble. Stay safe!

One of our Friday night pub group has been in the ICU for a few weeks with covid. Very bad situation. His wife was in ICU also. She is back home, we don’t know his status of late. Another totally different situation, the husband had flu symptoms and tested positive. He is fine. His wife has no symptoms and is waiting for test results. What we really need at this point is a solid antivirus random sample test. Many of us may be immune having been exposed and asymptotic.

Hope he pulls through, and yeah good testing would make a huge difference. Snarky part "Asymptomatic" ;)

After 3 weeks of isolation wife and I took a road trip to NOLA yesterday. Many of the breweries are doing curb side pickup. Pay online, drive up and they put in your trunk. Im sure it's like that elsewhere. Got home sprayed down my purchase w sanitizer and into the fridge.

It was nice to get out but eerie as hell to see how empty the roads are. Since I'm working from home I last filled up my truck three weeks ago. Gas prices have hit a low of $1.61/gal.

Still have trouble getting some items like hand sanitizer, lysol etc and toilet paper is hit and miss depending the time you go to the store. Walmart by far is the worst. They still have empty shelves and meat and frozen foods are somewhat bear.

Still see families out in public even with the mandate of one family member at the store. I guess people still don't get how serious this crap is.

In Louisiana the number of cases have dropped some but that could simply mean testing isn't being done as much or it could be social distancing is working.
I'm just ready for things to get back to normal.

Hope he pulls through, and yeah good testing would make a huge difference. Snarky part "Asymptomatic" ;)
Oh, I see. I meant to say antibody testing not antivirus tests. The antibody tests are coming soon (currently being trialed in California, Colorado and Florida.) One report I heard from Chicago indicated about 30% of those sampled had the antibodies. Most never had symptoms. If this helps people get back to work, I’m all for it. I know my friend mentioned above (out of ICU btw) will need to go back to work ASAP after our state allows it.

No worries, Asymptotic is a math thing that has no real relevance to us. I really hope they pull through ASAFP and recover regardless.

Back