Fun with Isolation

My relatively uninformed opinion of Canadian medicine is that it isn't all that bad. First world medical treatment at a reasonable price for everyone. Sure, you might have to wait for some less important things to be handled, but overall it's top notch.

Am I wrong?

If you think Canadian Healthcare is expensive you should look into US Healthcare. Medicine without private insurance is a trip to the poor house. Obama Care is handleable but Drugs continue to be steep. The good news is your health insurance is portable, if your employer goes out of business so does your health care. Good news again governmental assistance is available for your premiums. Then there's Medicaid, income qualification Healthcare for low income health insurance. For those of us over 65 there's Medicare. Not cheap but with Advantage or Supplemental insurance add ons the premiums are not crushing.
Aside from COVID issues regarding Voluntary Surgery the access to any level of medical care in any hospital or dr office anywhere in the country with out a referral is covered.
As far as I can tell, as long as Healthcare is profit driven there can never be excellent Healthcare. You cannot have hospital beds without paying bodies in them. That means in a profit driven medical system you cannot have a surplus number of beds mothballed in anticipation of a pandemic. Those beds must generate billings, until 300 people need to use 150 beds. Results are mobile morgues parked outside the hospitals.

Yeah. I can go talk politics on other sites. This is for brewing (or at least fermenting). Sorry, in the future I can PM odd questions (I'm not from Canada but was curious).

One of the most attractive features of Brewers Friend is the benevolent 'moderation' we enjoy, with the focus on brewing. I like this family. :)

Last edited:
My relatively uninformed opinion of Canadian medicine is that it isn't all that bad. First world medical treatment at a reasonable price for everyone. Sure, you might have to wait for some less important things to be handled, but overall it's top notch.

Am I wrong?

That's pretty spot on, it's a triage system.

I lived under Germany's system and have to say it's quite good if there's something seriously wrong with you. You get a cold, you get a few days off and advice to buy aspirin and cough drops.

Back