Forced carbonation ballet

Hoptonium

Premium Member
Reaction score
I am on a short schedule for my next brew that is currently in the fermenter.
For this one I will dry hop in the keg with a hop-sock and use a floating dip-tube.

Because of the tight time schedule my plan is to use the ol' overpressure the keg and roll it / shake it around for a while.

My worry is that the hop-sock AND the floating dip-tube will get tangled up and might kink/knot the dip-tube.
To try and prevent this I could do the overpressure + rolling/shaking without the hop-sock, de-pressure and open the keg afterwards, and then add the hops. Do you think that this would it defeat the gains of overpressure + rolling/shaking?

It won't defeat the purpose of pressurizing and shaking, but you will lose the CO2 from the head space when you purge. Also you might want to add the sock quickly so that the hops don't create a CO2/foam fountain out of the keg before you get the lid back on

In your scenario I would consider just opening the keg after your force carbonation process to make sure the dip tube is free.
If it is obstructed or tangled fix it up and close it back up. You will not lose the CO2 that has been forced into suspension in the beer by doing this. Your dry hop charge will get a bit of an amusement park ride doing this, I would be curious to hear the effect this has on flavor aroma. You may want to use some fishing line as a lanyard so you can easily pull the hop sock out when clearing the dip tube, and or when you think you should remove it to prevent unwanted flavors eventually getting into the beer.

You can easily add the hop sock after it's carbed. Also, you don't have to roll it at all unless you just have to have it carbed overnight. Just hook the gas up at 30 or 40 lbs overnight and let it sit in the fridge or kegerator. It may take 48 hours instead of 24 to be fully carbed but it'll work just fine. :)

It won't defeat the purpose of pressurizing and shaking, but you will lose the CO2 from the head space when you purge. Also you might want to add the sock quickly so that the hops don't create a CO2/foam fountain out of the keg before you get the lid back on

Thanks Sunfire96, good advice! I certainly don't want an IPA geyser. :eek:

In your scenario I would consider just opening the keg after your force carbonation process to make sure the dip tube is free.
If it is obstructed or tangled fix it up and close it back up. You will not lose the CO2 that has been forced into suspension in the beer by doing this. Your dry hop charge will get a bit of an amusement park ride doing this, I would be curious to hear the effect this has on flavor aroma. You may want to use some fishing line as a lanyard so you can easily pull the hop sock out when clearing the dip tube, and or when you think you should remove it to prevent unwanted flavors eventually getting into the beer.

Thanks Craigerrr, as I'm sure you know, without the roller coaster ride, the hops flavor and aroma are GREAT. I guess its a combination of the floating dip tube AND the floating hops right next to it. I don't weigh down my hops so I am always drawing from right next to all that hoppy goodness!!!! After a night of poker with 6 - 7 players, I don't have to worry too much about any off flavors if the hops sits in there too long. :D

That being said, I've never tossed the keg around with the hops in. We'll see how that goes!

You can easily add the hop sock after it's carbed. Also, you don't have to roll it at all unless you just have to have it carbed overnight. Just hook the gas up at 30 or 40 lbs overnight and let it sit in the fridge or kegerator. It may take 48 hours instead of 24 to be fully carbed but it'll work just fine. :)

Thanks J A. Two days for carbing might just be enough.
That would solve a lot of (potential) issues...
Hmmm, but then I wouldn't know if tossing around that hop sock is a good idea or not... hmmm.

This is how I do it too. 2-3 days at 40psi is ready to go.

If you really need it carbed up quick, look up the blichman "quick carb" will be carbed up in an hour

If the OP were using a standard diptube, it'd be easy...I just hook the gas up to the "out" keg post and push 40 PSI for a minute or two while I rock it back and forth. Rolling isn't necessary at all. That rocking action puts the liquid in motion enough to allow interaction with the gas. As long as you can hear it bubbling, it's taking on more gas. :)

Thanks J A. Two days for carbing might just be enough.
That would solve a lot of (potential) issues...
Hmmm, but then I wouldn't know if tossing around that hop sock is a good idea or not... hmmm.
Shaking doesn't have yo be like a can of spray paint. Rocking it a bit speeds things up just fine. Add 36-48 hours on pressure to that and you'll be fine.

Shaking doesn't have yo be like a can of spray paint. Rocking it a bit speeds things up just fine. Add 36-48 hours on pressure to that and you'll be fine.

Thanks J A and Donoroto, I'll save my workout for the weight room - take your advice and rock my corney to a nice CO2 nap. :cool:

Back