First Partial Mash = Low OG

I do want to point out that there is a reason there are twelve inches in a foot. It actually makes sense for design and it is an ancient reason. (I know were talking about weight and volume here but bear with me)

12 is a superior composite number (12 hours, 12 inches) because it has a higher number of factors.
12 is evenly divisible by 2, 4, 6 and 12
12 is oddly divisible by 1, 3 - I can divide into thirds

10 - less factors
10 is evenly divisible by 2, 5 and 10.
10 is oddly divisible by 5 no thirds

So when you are designing things like molding and rails and stiles without a calculator and you want symmetry it is a bit more natural (at least for me).

Dividing inches evenly likewise using fractions - 1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64. This is a natural sequence and fairly straightforward to work out without needing to use sig fig rules. An imperial ruler has all of them.
Metric rules are in tenths.

Plus my brain thinks in fractions and twelve unit units when I'm in the shop . . .

Mesopotamians used a base 60 system. Way more factors, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 12, 15, 20, 30

That's why . . .

I'll stop now.

In my engineering education, I generally found it easier to convert Imperial units to metric, solve the problem, then convert back. I'll take tenths any day.

In my engineering education, I generally found it easier to convert Imperial units to metric, solve the problem, then convert back. I'll take tenths any day.
I had an engineering education as well. I'm just saying that fractions have a practical application.

Yep, foot-pounds instead of newtons, or vice versa. A $300,000,000 divot on the surface of Mars, all because the US can't ditch an ancient system of measurement based on the length of some king's appendages. I lived in Germany for a while so am very comfortable with metric units, love them actually, because driving 130 km/h just seems faster.... For quick and dirty, the following conversions work: A meter is a yard with inflation (around 3%). A liter is an overfilled quart. A kilogram is just over two pounds. The Fahrenheit temperature is twice the Celsius temperature plus 30 (thanks, Bob and Doug, for that one).... All I can figure is our units of measure are somehow a barrier to entry to foreign competition in some consumer goods, although we are buying a lot of 16.9 ounce (one half liter) containers these days....

It's mostly ounces. 30g is a lot easier to figure out than say 3/4 of a pound because I have to think about how many ounces in a pound, etc...

It's mostly ounces. 30g is a lot easier to figure out than say 3/4 of a pound because I have to think about how many ounces in a pound, etc...
30g is closer to an ounce (28.4g) but I get the point.

Yeah that was probably a bad number to pick.

Back