Fermented Chilli Sauce

That's a good looking pellicle! How does it smell?

Ok I made that sauce today.
Method
Strain the fermented chillies through strainer into bowl keep liquid.
Put chillies into blender.
Grab 8 cloves garlic and gently brown these in a healthy layer of oil. Once browned strain these put fried garlic in blender keep the oil.
Add 1/2 cup vinegar (I used white vinegar)
Add 3 tablespoons of fermentation liquid or 42mls.
Blend all this up add oil gradually to mix as its blending.
Taste the mix mine needed a bit more vinegar to give it some tart and I also gave it a good crack of pepper.
Wizz the crap out of this and bottle her up!
20200112_093400.jpg

How good does that look!
Tastes as good as it looks I can't wait to cook me up some chicken wings a dose some of this sauce on.

This is the youtube vid I pretty much copied and inspired me to give this a crack.
Try it out it's pretty easy and so rewarding.

Proof of the pudding so to speak still copying old mate above I roasted up some chicken wings to try my hot sauce out on.
20200112_140659.jpg

Yep they complimented each other well and I recon a nice crisp glass of lager would just go nicely with the accompanying heat.
I actually had one of them "I can't believe I made this" moments whilst eating it a similar feeling when you first crack that great Home made beer!
Cheers!

Yeah, I just can't convince my fellow Americans that units of measure based on 10's is a good thing.

Take it from someone who does construction layout. You can use ANY unit you want...as long as you ALWAYS use the same one. I've seen much swearing caused by long tapes in tenths....

It's all your fault, Ben...
I now got 1 kg of chili's fermenting.
They came out of the freezers, so fingers crossed.
I've put 3% salt. I might up it a bit as it's fairly warm here, so I might want to slow things down a little
01 all kind frozen chili.jpg

+1 will be going to store today to pick a pack of peppers

Should go nicely with the hoppy wheat I need to keg

It's all your fault, Ben...
I now got 1 kg of chili's fermenting.
They came out of the freezers, so fingers crossed.
I've put 3% salt. I might up it a bit as it's fairly warm here, so I might want to slow things down a little
View attachment 8469
Uh, that stuff might need to be covered in brine....

Not to worry.
This was before I added the salt.
And since the chili's were frozen, I just wanted to see how much liquid came out of them.
Have now added another 500 gr red chili's that I found in another freezer, 20 gr more salt and a bag with water to hold them chili's down.
Just for interest sake, after an hour or 2, the volume of chili's looked to have decreased due to the salt effect (wilting).

Thanks for the concern though

Looks good Bob!

Now the waiting game! They only had jalapenos and habaneros as far as hot goes, so we'll see
View attachment 8485
I'm sure them chillies I used are jalapenos. They were just right in the heat department as in got the sweats up when eating them wings but wasn't overpowering hot where I couldn't bare to take another mouthfull.

Good luck to the both of you;).

I'm sure them chillies I used are jalapenos. They were just right in the heat department as in got the sweats up when eating them wings but wasn't overpowering hot where I couldn't bare to take another mouthfull.

Good luck to the both of you;).

Gonna have to try that recipe. I used to be a fire eater, but just can't do the super hot stuff anymore. Jalapeños are about my limit.

Gonna have to try that recipe. I used to be a fire eater, but just can't do the super hot stuff anymore. Jalapeños are about my limit.
Yeah same im a two chilly guy and medium heat chilly that is.
Yeah it's bloody good stuff you'll be glad you did.

Yeah when the chillies are too hot you get burnt both ends!:D:D

I'm afraid my pickled peppers are going to be fiery hot!
They are madam janet's (the yellow ones, heat level scotts bonnet/habanero) bird's eye, mouse drops (like a bird's eye but smaller and hottler), cayenne, and just 2 jalapeno's :)

But then, I like hot food....
Maybe I should make an equal amount of pickled onions to mix in with the final sauce :confused:

I'm afraid my pickled peppers are going to be fiery hot!
They are madam janet's (the yellow ones, heat level scotts bonnet/habanero) bird's eye, mouse drops (like a bird's eye but smaller and hottler), cayenne, and just 2 jalapeno's :)

But then, I like hot food....
Maybe I should make an equal amount of pickled onions to mix in with the final sauce :confused:
Yeah I saw your interesting mix of chillies in there quite colourful all on their own!

Yeah my ferment number 2 is underway and smelling quite prickly dickly if a may say so.
I went with baby cucumbers from market a couple of shallots and I think it was 3 garlic pieces just to mix it up.:)
20200114_170700.jpg

I'll be interested to hear how you like the cucs @Trialben. I personally could never get them down where I cared for them much pickling them like that. They always seemed a bit mushy to me and lacked the crispy bite of what I like in a pickle. If I remember correctly you need to add tannins or something to help with that. I think grape leaves were suggested? Curious what you'll think of the garlic also.

Back