Fermented Chilli Sauce

I'll be interested to hear how you like the cucs @Trialben. I personally could never get them down where I cared for them much pickling them like that. They always seemed a bit mushy to me and lacked the crispy bite of what I like in a pickle. If I remember correctly you need to add tannins or something to help with that. I think grape leaves were suggested? Curious what you'll think of the garlic also.

Calcium Chloride works well for making crisp pickles. Alum works too.

Add some alum for crispness and make sure they're cold when you put them in the jar.

Just finished blending and bottling the hot sauce! It's got some kick to it, but a nice fresh fruitiness from the habaneros. Its more of a salsa verde consistency rather than sauce but I'm not complaining
Cant wait to get this on some wings or tortilla chips
15795643154576373378857735696567.jpg

15795643376837983429736158497100.jpg

G
Just finished blending and bottling the hot sauce! It's got some kick to it, but a nice fresh fruitiness from the habaneros. Its more of a salsa verde consistency rather than sauce but I'm not complaining
View attachment 8551
View attachment 8552
Gee you made a bit! Yep it pairs well with Mexican for sure;)

View attachment 8551
View attachment 8552

For tortilla chips, I mix Rotel and cubed Velveta cheese 1:1 and heat in the microwave, stirring every minute until blended. Makes a nice Queso and works well with any hot sauce as well. I go 1 part hot sauce to 2 parts cheese.

For tortilla chips, I mix Rotel and cubed Velveta cheese 1:1 and heat in the microwave, stirring every minute until blended. Makes a nice Queso and works well with any hot sauce as well. I go 1 part hot sauce to 2 parts cheese.
You had me at velveeta

So I did an ad hoc quesadilla with flour tortillas, cheddar cheese and diced summer sausage. Spread the hot sauce on the tortilla. Had some Greek yogurt for dipping and to cut the heat. Really didn't need as much I thought. Great flavor and just enough heat to carry through to the next bite

May not be the best choice for many things, but you can't beat Velveta for grilled cheese sandwiches or Queso. Nothing else melts and blends nearly as well.
I agree. Makes great Mac n cheese too imo. I love Velveeta.

Been getting into my Lacto fermentations a bit of late I've sorta gone off the rails crazy fermenting anything that'll stay still long enough lol!

Recently we bought this stuff from the store
20200121_174111.jpg

Sorry no power atm massive storm....
Anyhow as you see it's a Swedish yogurt style fermented milk product.
Ok so I've made yogurt before and you need that stuff at like 33c for the culture to work so that means a bit of rigging of heating devices to maintain temps ect ECT.

The cool thing about this Filmjolk is it's a room temp fermentor! I think anywhere around 26c or thereabouts is what I've read in my quick Wikipedia exploratory mission yesterday.

So me and the missus enjoyed the contence of that there product btw blueberries and this filmjolk go hand in hand. I went to take a chug yesterday when I got home from work only to discover the missus had done the old just put the empty container back trick on me!
I had a lightbulb moment went up the store bought 1lt of pasturised milk did some you tubing and yep this has gotta be the easiest fermented milk product I know of.
I literally sprayed the lid down with starsan poured in some pasturised milk shook the crap out of it loosened the lid and stuck it in the cupboard.
This morn it was like cream subsistencey +12 hours but this arvo +24 hours mate that stuff is like yogurt!
I've gotta chill it down now for 6 hours and tomorrow morn I'll post a breaky shot hopefully showing the thickened product!

Pretty cool huh? Dude if you do a search in Wikipedia man there are tuns of fermented milk type products from all over the world.
One such I found is a fermented mildly alcoholic milk beverage (more like wine) it traces back to ye old Scottish times (apparently handed down from vikings). And current day I think it is Mongolia this alcoholic milk drink is widely drunk. I'll search and post here

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermented_milk_products

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaand

Been getting into my Lacto fermentations a bit of late I've sorta gone off the rails crazy fermenting anything that'll stay still long enough lol!

Recently we bought this stuff from the store
View attachment 8556
Sorry no power atm massive storm....
Anyhow as you see it's a Swedish yogurt style fermented milk product.
Ok so I've made yogurt before and you need that stuff at like 33c for the culture to work so that means a bit of rigging of heating devices to maintain temps ect ECT.

The cool thing about this Filmjolk is it's a room temp fermentor! I think anywhere around 26c or thereabouts is what I've read in my quick Wikipedia exploratory mission yesterday.

So me and the missus enjoyed the contence of that there product btw blueberries and this filmjolk go hand in hand. I went to take a chug yesterday when I got home from work only to discover the missus had done the old just put the empty container back trick on me!
I had a lightbulb moment went up the store bought 1lt of pasturised milk did some you tubing and yep this has gotta be the easiest fermented milk product I know of.
I literally sprayed the lid down with starsan poured in some pasturised milk shook the crap out of it loosened the lid and stuck it in the cupboard.
This morn it was like cream subsistencey +12 hours but this arvo +24 hours mate that stuff is like yogurt!
I've gotta chill it down now for 6 hours and tomorrow morn I'll post a breaky shot hopefully showing the thickened product!

Pretty cool huh? Dude if you do a search in Wikipedia man there are tuns of fermented milk type products from all over the world.
One such I found is a fermented mildly alcoholic milk beverage (more like wine) it traces back to ye old Scottish times (apparently handed down from vikings). And current day I think it is Mongolia this alcoholic milk drink is widely drunk. I'll search and post here

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermented_milk_products

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaand

Yup. Yogurt is really fast and simple. My wife ate it for breakfast every morning for several years. I got her a yogurt maker and we would only buy one single serving tub of natural yogurt every couple of weeks after that. Just heat some milk to 104F(40C), blend in a couple TBSPs of the yogurt and pour into the jars that come with the machine.

71ImkWvqPeL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg
Don't know why but she got off of the yogurt some time after that and the thing is packed away somewhere in the pantry now. It's just an incubator really. IIRC, you set the timer, depending on how thick you want the yogurt, put the uncovered jars in, put the cover on and turn it on. The next morning you've got yogurt for the week. You control the fat content by using the corresponding type of milk. She insisted on a fresh culture every couple of batches, but I'm sure you could just keep using what you made to inoculate the next batch.

I remember back when gas ranges still had pilot lights. You'd mix some yogurt with warm milk and just set it in the oven overnight. Probably not as exacting as the little machines, but it worked.

We made yogurt for a long time just using Mason jars, large towel, and a small igloo type cooler. We used a greek yogurt to get going and it smooth sailing from there.

Tried to get a side pour shot to show the consistency.
20200122_052242.jpg

It's not quite as tart as yogurt and it's got a subtle cheesy flavour not quite as thick as yogurt maybe more like custard.

Bob I was like that for a couple of weeks last year making yogurt and then all of a sudden stopped. We all go through our phases :).

Cheers for the linq there @sbaclimber that bloke sure does play the part of a highlander lol. So it's a by product of cheese making fermented whey interesting recon the Blaand would be pretty interesting too. Thankyou for the link.

So I figured my chili's had been fermenting long enough and it was time to process them.
I added lime juice, garlic and palm sugar to the mix followed by some vinegar and boiled for a while.
Tasty, but incredibly hot!
So much so that when I used it as a chicken marinade (with some mustard) it was still hot hot hot! And that while I normally find that it more or less cooks off on the charcoal braai.
So, decided to dilute with canned tomatoes and obviously more garlic.
It's still hot, still tasty and I got about 4 litres of the stuff (conservative estimate).
I think that for the next batch I'll ferment half onions and half chili's....

Back