Fermentation stop to fast (2nd time 2nd bach)

I open it for dry hop!! Now I'm on day 9 or 10
Why not glass?? I think will clean a lot better
Can't throw another batch... I spent a lot of money to quit now..
Co2 bottle, refrigerator, keg, pressure regulator etc......
But this is not about money, i think you know the feeling of throwing the beer..
So many days waiting And nothing
I don't think anyone is suggesting you quit. There is a learning curve and you will get it. We are just trying to guide you in the right direction.

For this batch, how was preparation for the fermentation done? From boil to now. Please list:
1) how the beer got to the fermentor
2) what was used to transfer
3) how was the fermentor cleaned?
4) how was the fermenter sanitized?

Not trying to be insulting, but maybe we can figure out where you are going wrong, cause i know its frustrating to keep pouring it down the drain.

I'm worried about those white things, look like spider web ️ looks like infection,
My bucket was smelling very intense beer from previous batch before I clean it, but after cleaning smell was still there, not sure after sanitize (not smell it)
If is this a new infection i think I need to replace my bucket, can't give any explanation, 3 of 4 batches infected, cleaning and sanitize everything.. Probably my fermentation bucket is to bad or I'm a bad at cleaning,
Thinking to buy a glass vessel 20 liters, same as you all guys use,
What's your opinion
View attachment 29083

I agree with you, that looks like an infection. I think your idea of getting a new bucket is an excellent one. It's easy to scratch the inside of a plastic bucket and once scratched bacteria have a place to hide that you cannot ever clean and sanitize properly. Glass carboys are very resistant to scratching and you can use stronger chemicals like bleach to clean and sanitize. As others have mentioned, there are definitely risks involved with glass. But given your problems with infections, a glass carboy may not be a bad idea. Whatever you replace your fermenter with, you should also replace anything that comes in contact with your beer post-boil. My only recommendation on what you brew is to keep it simple and inexpensive until you figure out the source of the infections. It's never fun to dump a beer but, the more money, time and effort you put into the beer, the more painful the dumping will be.

Just try a simple beer.
No dry hop, nothing special so you know what you are doing and aiming for.
Then fine tune and brew it again.

I still use a bucket sometime, still have no fancy set up.
I had to dump 1 batch because of infection and 1 because temperature was too high during fermentation.
Out of about 100 batches.
Not all perfect, but very drinkable
So I'm doing something wrong, the point is to find the source of problem is very important for me,
I don't care to buy a new backet or glass vessel and make a good beer, I want to know the reason
If not this will happen again And again

So I'm doing something wrong, the point is to find the source of problem is very important for me,
I don't care to buy a new backet or glass vessel and make a good beer, I want to know the reason
If not this will happen again And again
infections in beer are 100% bacteria or rogue yeast. having a warm environment and lots of sugar to eat is ideal for most organisms.

so keeping equipment clean and sanitized and not exposing it to "bugs" while it is fermenting is important.

one question, when you fill the airlock, do you use water or sanitizer?

I don't think anyone is suggesting you quit. There is a learning curve and you will get it. We are just trying to guide you in the right direction.

For this batch, how was preparation for the fermentation done? From boil to now. Please list:
1) how the beer got to the fermentor
2) what was used to transfer
3) how was the fermentor cleaned?
4) how was the fermenter sanitized?

Not trying to be insulting, but maybe we can figure out where you are going wrong, cause i know its frustrating to keep pouring it down the drain.
1- I just throw the beer in to the fermentor directly from the pot
2- nothing i just lift the pot with my hands and throw wort in to fermenter
3- I use dish cleaner for first cleaning, after a very good water drain i made a mix with this OXY i have (working with active oxygen) put it in the fermenter and shake it for few minutes, before that i had take off the valve and dive it in to it (also in star san)
After that 10 liters of new starsan mix in the fermentor and give a lot of shaking couple of times, no more cleaning with water after that.

What can be wrong?
The only thing i can say is that my fermentor was smelling a lot of beer from previous batch, after cleaning still some smell..
I have this backet many years, wen I started making kit i remember then 8-9 years ago i had again infections (i had 3-4 infections one after the other) that's why i quit then and now i started again...
But the difference is that then i was using just this OXY not Star san

infections in beer are 100% bacteria or rogue yeast. having a warm environment and lots of sugar to eat is ideal for most organisms.

so keeping equipment clean and sanitized and not exposing it to "bugs" while it is fermenting is important.

one question, when you fill the airlock, do you use water or sanitizer?
I use "tsipouro" is a local product 40%+ alcohol something like let's say vodka

1- I just throw the beer in to the fermentor directly from the pot
2- nothing i just lift the pot with my hands and throw wort in to fermenter
3- I use dish cleaner for first cleaning, after a very good water drain i made a mix with this OXY i have (working with active oxygen) put it in the fermenter and shake it for few minutes, before that i had take off the valve and dive it in to it (also in star san)
After that 10 liters of new starsan mix in the fermentor and give a lot of shaking couple of times, no more cleaning with water after that.

What can be wrong?
The only thing i can say is that my fermentor was smelling a lot of beer from previous batch, after cleaning still some smell..
I have this backet many years, wen I started making kit i remember then 8-9 years ago i had again infections (i had 3-4 infections one after the other) that's why i quit then and now i started again...
But the difference is that then i was using just this OXY not Star san
that sounds right. as others suggested, maybe its time for a new fermenter.

I use "tsipouro" is a local product 40%+ alcohol something like let's say vodka
ok, good. just trying to eliminate anything that might cause it.

As for the glass fermentor i can buy this one with plastic protector..
I don't know why but I'm not sure if I want to buy again plastic.
This one is 20Liters
Screenshot_2024-04-14-00-22-29-459_com.android.chrome.jpg

As for the glass fermentor i can buy this one with plastic protector..
I don't know why but I'm not sure if I want to buy again plastic.
This one is 20Liters
View attachment 29085
look at the size of the neck on that? they really hard to clean.

I would look at the fermonster or all rounder if you want plastic.

https://www.amazon.com/BrewDemon-Co...72&sprefix=stainless+fermente,aps,163&sr=8-33

stainless is just better. in every way

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-St...772&sprefix=stainless+fermente,aps,163&sr=8-6

Yeah, if you go new and can afford it, go stainless.
Maybe even a corny keg (wish I could afford one) with airlock etc
I'm also starting to think your bucket may be the issue.

I'm using a 12 ltr speidel, a 10 ltr ss milkcan made into fermenter and a 10 ltr bucket that has only ever been used as fermenter

A spigot at the bottom is handy, but not necessary. You can use a (auto)siphon instead.
But if you want to take samples often, then go for one with a spigot

Can't find this product here in Greece, or will be very expensive.
If i want to give it a try again, what is the best way to sanitize my 10 years old backet?
If i fill it with water and bleach leave it there for 24h ?
I was ready to buy a glass but now i have second thought,
Don't know what to do
Sure thing is that I will buy a new backet but any way I want to test this one with bleach

First thing I would do is use your finger tips and check inside of bucket for scratches. Just feel your way.
If you have severe scratches, I wouldn't use it anymore
If no scratches bleack will work.

Have you checked ikegger.eu?
They ship to Greece. Free shipping over 119 euro

Can't find this product here in Greece, or will be very expensive.
If i want to give it a try again, what is the best way to sanitize my 10 years old backet?
If i fill it with water and bleach leave it there for 24h ?
I was ready to buy a glass but now i have second thought,
Don't know what to do
Sure thing is that I will buy a new backet but any way I want to test this one with bleach
This must be very frustrating for you.
If you can, I would just buy a new bucket, and throw that 10 year old bucket away.
Take care not get any scratches on the inside of the new bucket (don't store anything inside it when not in use for example)
If any of your other equipment that comes in contact with the beer after the boil is also 10 years old, you may want to think about replacing it as well.

A new plastic bucket should be inexpensive. I agree, if your fingers can feel scratches, buy a new one.

I ordered a new one, smaller 18 liters capacity, I will prepare my next batch this week.
I must decide wich recipe, ale Same recipe (without dry hops) or jump to Pilsener.
Let's see what happens, try No5.
Theanks for help, this days I'm not at my house so i can't make any quality test or gravity measure tomorrow i will.
I will check also for scratches (if I'm sure that beer is infected and throw it )

I ordered a new one, smaller 18 liters capacity, I will prepare my next batch this week.
I must decide wich recipe, ale Same recipe (without dry hops) or jump to Pilsener.
Let's see what happens, try No5.
Theanks for help, this days I'm not at my house so i can't make any quality test or gravity measure tomorrow i will.
I will check also for scratches (if I'm sure that beer is infected and throw it )
Good plan.

Remember that temperature kills everything. You can always "burn" a bucket with hot water and steam. Plastic buckets can def hold 185F water. I dont think that it would negatively affect the bucket in the long run??? Burning your hoses and gear is also a reliable way to clean them(assuming they can take the temp). We burn hoses all the time on the commercial side of things.

Did you say that you you used dish soap for the first clean on the bucket? That could leave a residue?

SS is the best, but not cheap.

Remember that temperature kills everything. You can always "burn" a bucket with hot water and steam. Plastic buckets can def hold 185F water. I dont think that it would negatively affect the bucket in the long run??? Burning your hoses and gear is also a reliable way to clean them(assuming they can take the temp). We burn hoses all the time on the commercial side of things.

Did you say that you you used dish soap for the first clean on the bucket? That could leave a residue?

SS is the best, but not cheap.
I don't think that dish soap can leave anything, I wash it a lot after that.
As i have mentioned again the bucket smells beer..
After cleaning keep smelling beer.. this is a sign that is not clean as much must to clean or not?
If smell remains probably bacteria from previous batch remain or any part of previous batches is still in there..
I can understand why stainless steel is way better and cleaning more easily and better from plastic.
I give it a try today taste alot of bitter and of flavour, no bitterness like hop bitterness but something else, taste to bad.
Here some photos
I will dump it in few minutes from now
Is day 13 and everything floating, you can see the green area is the dry hoops
IMG_20240415_181031.jpg
IMG_20240415_181038.jpg
IMG_20240415_181046.jpg

I don't think that dish soap can leave anything, I wash it a lot after that.
As i have mentioned again the bucket smells beer..
Its a plastic bucket. Cheap, easy to replace. Safe first starting point.
After cleaning keep smelling beer.. this is a sign that is not clean as much must to clean or not?
I have not used plastic in decades, but i think that some plastic can retain smell. I just pitched fruit puree and my chemical resistant bucket is stained and still smells like fruit after washing it.
If smell remains probably bacteria from previous batch remain or any part of previous batches is still in there..
Maybe?
I can understand why stainless steel is way better and cleaning more easily and better from plastic.
I give it a try today taste alot of bitter and of flavour, no bitterness like hop bitterness but something else, taste to bad.
i cant help ya with what it is without being able to taste it.
Here some photos
I will dump it in few minutes from now
Iv dumped Thousands of gallons of beer man its part of the learning process. Dont get discouraged.
Is day 13 and everything floating, you can see the green area is the dry hoops

The pellical(bacterial cap I dont know how to spell it lol) does not look like anything that i have seen from kettle souring its not a lacto or pedio that im familiar with. That is generally fuzzy white and sort of wrinkled.

My guess is the same as was stated above. scratches in the bucket harbor bugs. Best way to trouble shoot is to eliminate the most obvious thing first hence the bucket needs to be replaced. If the infection continues, you will need to look at getting new hoses and soft parts or at least boiling whatever can take the heat.

Heat can penetrate and kill, but i dont know that it is a great idea with a plastic bucket. Also depending on what kind of hoses you use it can be dangerous. Silicone can take all of the heat(but not generally the pressure), but vinyl or braided vinyl cannot and become super soft and can pop.

reducing infection opportunity is key, dont open the fermenter unless you absolutely have to. I use Isopropyl alcohol(70%) in my spray bottles for a sanitizer in the brewery. If you are working near open flames, obviously thats a concern so switch to something like starsan, iodophor or PAA, just know the limitations of those products. Vodka would also work for this application i believe but it is more pricey then isopropyl.

Be absolutely meticulous with cleaning your hands and gear once you are down to fermentation temps. Hot side is less important as everything gets boiled.

If you have a pump you can recirculate your hot wort through your hoses(assuming they can handle the high temp) before transferring to the fermenter. the hot wort will sanitize them very effectively.

Reusing yeast is something that we do extensively, but im not really sure how its done on the homebrew side. I would not reuse until you can reproduce clean beer a few times. plus storage is probably an issue as bugs will grow anytime there is air present.

So it's official
This is the bottom of my fermentation bucket!
I tried alot to match lighting so to be visible on camera
By hand I can't feel those scratches is not deep but I think this can be house for bacteria???
IMG_20240417_175254.jpg
IMG_20240417_175334.jpg
IMG_20240417_175337.jpg
IMG_20240417_175358.jpg

Back