Fake News from Big Beer?

Especially the people though, right!

I made a few business trips to Calgary, Red Deer, Edmonton and up to Peace River once. Loved the country, and all my fellow rednecks there. Never found a good Canuck beer though. Almost everyone was drinking Blue.

I mean I live where the local big brewery, Genesee, makes some really good beers both large and small batch and their reputation among more snobbish people really doesn't bother me. I've actually considered applying to various positions at the brewery. Don't think it's true anymore but heard the used to give employees a free 12pk every month:D
No snob here. Love Genesee 12 Horse and love Genny Cream. And Genny Light 30 packs got me through college. Or, more likely, I got through college despite 30 packs of Genny Light. :p

I live in the land of AC Golden, Coors' attempt at stealth craft beer.... Nothing wrong with a lot of their beers! In fact, apres-ski, I sometimes love a Blue Moon or a Colorado Native. Even Fat Tire has become "big beer" in terms of volume. These guys know how to make a good product and it's not all Rocky Mountain Spring Water (Clear Creek water, actually, treated and filtered).

I actually don't mind the banquet, I buy the odd one once in a while.

I made a few business trips to Calgary, Red Deer, Edmonton and up to Peace River once. Loved the country, and all my fellow rednecks there. Never found a good Canuck beer though. Almost everyone was drinking Blue.

How long ago was that Bob? Blue is my go to in small town hotel bars where they have a tap of "something" but in the last 10 years Alberta beer has taken off like crazy. I can point you to any number of good breweries these days even in Peace River.

How long ago was that Bob? Blue is my go to in small town hotel bars where they have a tap of "something" but in the last 10 years Alberta beer has taken off like crazy. I can point you to any number of good breweries these days even in Peace River.

This was back in 2003 to early 2006. Blue and Budweiser appeared to be the top dogs then.

Ah yeah it's changed a lot since then. We had some ridiculous rules around beer minimum production for a long time.

Ah yeah it's changed a lot since then. We had some ridiculous rules around beer minimum production for a long time.
Yup. I think things really started cooking around 2013 after they changed the minimum production limit. Now you can hardly swing an empty mug without coming across some new craft beer or another. It is glorious!

It is lovely. Definitely a nice change.

Back