Fake News from Big Beer?

It has been a number of years now, but I have had Yuengling, just don't recall which one. It may have been the Oktoberfest.

I had a Yuengling in 2003 in New York, I have no special recollection of it either way.

I had a Yuengling in 2003 in New York, I have no special recollection of it either way.
I don't recall it as being particularly spectacular in any way - talking about the classic lager, of course. It was a good, drinkable beer by comparison with our Colorado kool-aid but I have far better in the basement.

I wasn't aware craft beer existed at the time so I was mostly comparing it to Sleemans Honey Brown.

If you had a Yuengling in 2003, there is a 90% chance it was their "Yuengling Lager" and this would explain why you have no special recollection of it. It's a pretty average beer, not offensive, not great. But it was a BIG seller for a good long while.

s-l640.jpg

I've always heard of Yuengling but I've never seen it in these parts. I'll keep an eye out for it and hopefully give it a try.
At least I am not the only one to "discover" Yuengling (very) late. I also have yet to have ever drunk anything carrying that label, not because I live in Germany, but because the brand was absolutely unknown in the backwoods of and central NY while I was still living there (end of previous millennium). Needless to say, I have seen the brand upon return since, but never had the desire to try any of their brews...

Not surprising many haven't heard of Yuengling. Despite being the oldest brewery in the US (or so they claim) the really haven't had much distribution outside of Pennsylvania till the last couple decades and expansion has been real slow. I know it was available in western New York well before I was of age and I was drinking it in the late 2000s. Back then craft beer wasn't big so we loved that stuff cause compared to your stereotypical college beers that stuff seems fancy. Had one coworker tell me one time that it was like "Thanksgiving beer" I guess meaning it was upscale:D
When I first was living in Cincinnati it wasn't available in Ohio but it arrived sometime around 2010. We went out to the bar that night and celebrated!

I have to admit, I have a soft spot for that slight-skunkiness you get with this beer!. And I have to say that their Golden Pilsner is pretty decent, especially when you consider the price.

I also like their regular Porter, but I think the Hershey Chocolate Porter is pretty rough. Waayyy too sweet for me.

Indeed! I was gonna mention the skunk but didn't want to prejudice anyone...but yeah the pils and double yeah on the Hershey...great idea..failed execution...their porter...mothers milk!

So how would you describe a skunked flavour/aroma to a person who lives in a continent without skunks? Assuming it's something to do with them.

So how would you describe a skunked flavour/aroma to a person who lives in a continent without skunks? Assuming it's something to do with them.
Well, I'll go way back to my younger days and mention pot or "skunk weed" having a very similar smell. Even some pungent hops have a similar skunkish smell. If you've never smelled pot then I guess this doesn't help much. Maybe when you hard boil eggs a bit to long and have them in the fridge and that rotten fart (sulferish) smell is a bit similar?

Well, I'll go way back to my younger days and mention pot or "skunk weed" having a very similar smell. Even some pungent hops have a similar skunkish smell. If you've never smelled pot then I guess this doesn't help much. Maybe when you hard boil eggs a bit to long and have them in the fridge and that rotten fart (sulferish) smell is a bit similar?
The pot based comparisons bring back memories I can use. Thanks.

Did you ever have a Pilsner Urquell in a green bottle (before they changed to the brown bottle a few years ago)? That's what a skunky beer tastes like to me. And I'll go on record with the unpopular opinion that I preferred it that way. (If you're freaky, then own it! :)) Maybe its just a nostalgia thing (it's probably a nostalgia thing), but to me it is what made that beer a little different. I also want my Corona's to remain in clear bottles so I have to add the lime wedge in order to make it more palatable. But I do like a Corona with a lime on a Summer day. I find Yuengling's Lord Chesterfield Ale to have a bit of that skunk (because of the green bottles) but the beer is still so drinkable, no lime needed because it also has a nice hop aroma to help it along.

There were some beers where the skunk went way beyond saving however. Anyone ever have a Rolling Rock back in the day? Hoo boy...

Here's one for you folks. I can remember when Coors was non existent on the east coast. At the time, I worked with a guy whose wife had family in Colorado and he would drive a few cases back to Connecticut. Oh boy was that good/different. Now......... haven't touched a coors in 20 plus years.

Here's one for you folks. I can remember when Coors was non existent on the east coast. At the time, I worked with a guy whose wife had family in Colorado and he would drive a few cases back to Connecticut. Oh boy was that good/different. Now......... haven't touched a coors in 20 plus years.
Yeah, when I was in college in Kentucky, it seemed a particular treat.... Now, if I stand on the hill on a clear day with an unimpeded line of sight, I can see the brewery and, you guessed it, won't touch the stuff.

Oh yeah....I recall my first Coors very well..OKC ( that's Oklahoma City for the rest of us) at a Chi Chi's without a liquor license...cheaper to pay the fines!

Back