English Stout-FG too high

WesBrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Using S04 yeast for a Foreign Export Stout with an OG 1.068. Expected FG is .017. Four days in its at .025 and creeping, I expect its going to stop at .022-23 which is way too sweet. Some of this is my fault, didn't pay attention during the later half of the mash and the temp rose to 157.
I've let the fermentation temp up to 70f and have been rousing the yeast the last two days. Trying to come up with a plan to get this FG down near the target. I have a pack of S05, thinking that slightly more attenuation might get me close. Thoughts or other ideas?

Using S04 yeast for a Foreign Export Stout with an OG 1.068. Expected FG is .017. Four days in its at .025 and creeping, I expect its going to stop at .022-23 which is way too sweet. Some of this is my fault, didn't pay attention during the later half of the mash and the temp rose to 157.
I've let the fermentation temp up to 70f and have been rousing the yeast the last two days. Trying to come up with a plan to get this FG down near the target. I have a pack of S05, thinking that slightly more attenuation might get me close. Thoughts or other ideas?
First, repitching likely won't help. It might make a decent sour, since some of the bacteria can feed on your excess dextrines. You could add hop extract if you have it to counter the sweetness. You could add water to bring the FG down. Or you could brew another batch and blend. Lots of options, depending on the outcome you want.

Are you really sure 1.022 is going to end up as "too sweet"? I'm not so sure. I've had beers finish in the 20's (Windsor yeast) that certainly did not taste sweet. Full bodied, sure. But not sweet.
But assuming it is, I like @Nosybear 's idea of balancing the sweetness with a bit of hop extract bitterness.

I have to believe you are measuring FG with a hydrometer, temp compensation, etc. If not, all bets are off. Tilts are famous for being off a few points on FG due to crud on the vial.

You might not find it too sweet at 1.022 if 1.017 was expected. Does it taste too sweet right now?

But, shaking up the yeasties and increasing temperature to whatever is max for S04 (77F IIRC) might or might not get you another 2 or 3 points. More yeast is almost certainly not the answer.

Readings from the refractometer, corrected with the BF calculator. It's not terrible, but I wanted it to dry out more than it is. If a higher attenuating yeast will not make any differece I might just leave it as is.

Right now its at 6.08P/corrected/1.024 so i'll just keep swirling. C'mon, 4more g points !

Sounds like your doing what I'd be.
Leave it be until next weekend (unless your pipelines down) if it hasnt moved well that's your beer.
Hey remember carbonation helps as well

Readings from the refractometer, corrected with the BF calculator. It's not terrible, but I wanted it to dry out more than it is. If a higher attenuating yeast will not make any differece I might just leave it as is.
Have you determined your refractometer wort correction factor? That's usually good for a point or three.

Have you determined your refractometer wort correction factor? That's usually good for a point or three.
Has anyone ever tried adding a bit of gypsum at packaging? If the OP's beer did indeed finish sweet, I'm wondering if his might not be another solution. I've never tried it and wouldn't have any recommendation as to how much to add other than "just a wee bit at a time".

Has anyone ever tried adding a bit of gypsum at packaging? If the OP's beer did indeed finish sweet, I'm wondering if his might not be another solution. I've never tried it and wouldn't have any recommendation as to how much to add other than "just a wee bit at a time".
I have tried that as well. It works. Don't try to add the powder to carbonated beer, Mentos and soda... To see if it will help, make a solution of 9g gypsum to 91 g water, that's nearly saturated, and add a few drops to a sample. Taste the sample. If it produces the desired effect, put some gypsum in, if you want to you can calculate or you can guess.

I have tried that as well. It works. Don't try to add the powder to carbonated beer, Mentos and soda... To see if it will help, make a solution of 9g gypsum to 91 g water, that's nearly saturated, and add a few drops to a sample. Taste the sample. If it produces the desired effect, put some gypsum in, if you want to you can calculate or you can guess.
That's a 9% w/w solution for calculations.

I have stout that I brew 3-4 times a year. Starts around 1.065 and ends at 1.018. Its not too sweet at all. if it finishes at 22, it should be OK.

If you're not measuring with a hydrometer, forget about accuracy. There's just too much going on with dark beers. Either measure with a hydrometer or just assume it's done and move on.
BTW...I had a stout finish high with S-04 and I personally thought it was too sweet. My solution was to add some strong cold brewed coffee and about 8 ounces of vodka (5 gallon batch) to thin it out a little and boost the ABV. Definitely a good way to save it if you really don't like it at the higher FG.

All equipment is calibrated. Ive taken a hydrometer reading to confirm. Putting numbers aside, it tastes too sweet right now. Ill give it some more time & shaking and consider the options above if it doesn't dry out enough

Last edited:
All equipment is calibrated. Ive taken a hydrometer reading to confirm. Putting numbers aside, it tastes too sweet right now. Ill give it some more time & shaking and consider the options above if it doesn't dry out enough
If your tasting your beer still and warm, it will taste different when it's cold and carbonated. The carbonation will add some carbonic acid and change the mouth feel, often the beer will dry out as a result.

Back