Dry hop with Nugget?

Jason Cox

Premium Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used Nugget as a dryhop? I know many people have listed hops that you should not dryhop with (Saaz and Fuggle for example) but have never found a good list of ones you should use for dryhop.

Normally I stick to cascade/centennial/citra for dryhopping, but I have nugget handy, so wondering if anyone has used it, and what their perceived results were.

I have only bittered with Nugget. It went well with Citra and Mosaic.

I'd definitely try it. Columbus is listed as a sub and I've really liked adding that to the dry-hop. I'd pair it up with something to get some pine/citrus. A pinch of Simcoe would probably be nice or Centennial. That would lighten up the "heavy herbal" qualities.

I have 1oz nugget and 1oz cascade on hand, so both are going in I guess. I found http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=61012&page=3 and they seem to like it. I have only used it to bitter, so was skeptical, but what the heck, its going in.
I also have some nugget left over, so I'll be doing the same. I dry hopped with it a few months back, with cascade, as it happens, in an IPA and it turned out very well. This Saturday it'll be going into the secondary in a bitter. Not in keeping with the style, but what the heck. I'll be just dropping the pellets straight in. I found that was more effective than using a bag.

Well.... dumped the both of em in. Just smelling cascade next to nugget, I actually prefered the nugget smell, so i'm hopeful some of that makes its way to the end. I'll post back with my review of the combo.

Well.... dumped the both of em in. Just smelling cascade next to nugget, I actually prefered the nugget smell, so i'm hopeful some of that makes its way to the end. I'll post back with my review of the combo.
I dumped a whopping 33g of Nugget in my Special Bitter to dry hop on Saturday. Bottled it today. It smells fantastic. Had a 100ml sample from the fg check too. Tastes good, of course a bit fresh and unrefined, but still pretty good. Looking forward to it mellowing out in the bottles. I'm rapidly seeing Nugget as an all-rounder / dual purpose hop.

Update on my massive Nugget dry hop in my ESB. After three weeks in the botte, (plus two in Primary) the dry hop has faded into the background and is much more subtle. I really like it in this ESB. A strong hop aroma would have been out of place, so it has worked out very well...but if you were brewing an IPA you wouldn't be happy with the aroma bang for your buck. I would opt for more commonly used hops (cascade etc...) if hop-bombs are required.

Reactions: J A
I decided to do a Pale with Nugget and Cascade. Not big IBUs but lots of hoppiness. I used a little Warrior at 60 and plenty late hops mixed between the Nugget and Cascade and dry-hopped with an ounce of each. Just tasted a sample yesterday and it's going to be pretty great.;)

Back