Do I have yeast?

I know, Magnum is magical. Any other great bittering hops?

I've had really good luck with noble hops in German style brews.

Everything from first wort to dry hop. I don't personally care for "dank" hops - I can grind up pine boards much cheaper. Some of the American varieties have nice flavors but can be overwhelming. To me, beer is primarily a malt beverage, hops are there for accent flavors. That said, I've used CTZ to good effect, and even Cluster in my Kentucky Common. There's a myth out there that boil hops, the long addition variety, don't contribute flavor. They do: To check, make a hop tea out of, say, Perle. Boil an ounce in a couple quarts of water for an hour. By the end of the hour, the nose will have changed but there will still be a noticeable "hop aroma". Perle goes from floral to minty to kind of musty-stale by the end of the one-hour boil experiment. This was an accidental discovery on my part - I needed some additional bitterness in a brew so made the hop tea and made my little discovery.

To me, beer is primarily a malt beverage
I'm the exact opposite - more focused on hops :D Though I don't dry hop.

Your Perle experiment shows that not all hops enjoy a long boil, and that the bittering addition does impart character. Makes me curious about which hops (apart from Magnum) can still contribute nice tastes after an hour of boil. Columbus indeed gets mentioned a lot, as well as Warrior.

This thread sure has strayed from its original course...

Interwebs get sidetracked ? " insert usual metric system rant "
There are high alpa hops great for buttering and others that are not .
Magum wants to be your friend

Haha... Magnum already is my friend, but I'm looking to expand my circle

I'm the exact opposite - more focused on hops :D Though I don't dry hop.

Your Perle experiment shows that not all hops enjoy a long boil, and that the bittering addition does impart character. Makes me curious about which hops (apart from Magnum) can still contribute nice tastes after an hour of boil. Columbus indeed gets mentioned a lot, as well as Warrior.

This thread sure has strayed from its original course...

If hops are boiled in water, there isn't anything for the oils to bond to...Sugar is necessary to isomerize the alphas and volatiles.Try the same experiment with a "wort" of table sugar and water and see if there's a difference. Also...at 1 hour, flavor and aroma oils are driven out and all you have left is bitterness.That's why we add more hops late in the boil.

JA, I will try your experiment. I have a half-ounce of Saaz, I'll start with two quarts of 1.045 "wort" of sugar and water so there's nothing to bind to. Sugar as far as I know, is not involved in isomerization, indeed, it interferes with it - the higher the gravity, the lower the utilization. Heat is what causes the oils to isomerize. But let's try it.

Back