Copper Color Pale Ale

Nola_Brew

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What I am aiming for is a clear copper color pale ale. I brewed a Belgian PA a couple years ago with an SRM of around 8 and it was the nicest color, not to mentioned tasted great.

In addition to the color, I want this recipe to be slightly malty with a hint of rye spiciness.

If any adjustments are needed let me know and I will change.

5.5 gal to fermenter
OG: 1.050
FG: 1.012
ABV: 4.98%
SRM: 9.05
IBU: 44.35 (IBU Ratio .88)
Yeast: S04 or Notty
60 min boil
Mash @ 152 for 60 min
Ferment @ 60-62 for 14 days

81.3% MO
7.4% Med Crystal (50L)
4.4% Munich 10L
3.5% Rye
3.4% Carafoam

.25 oz Magnum @ 60
.5 oz Cascade @ 30
.75 oz Cascade @ 15
1 oz Cascade @ 10
1.25 oz Cascade @FO
2-3 oz Cascade DH (may split this with Simcoe or Mosaic)

From experience, I will tell you that I would definitely use Vienna malt for enhanced maltiness, like 20-40%. Munich is a bit more "dry" tasting and toasty? Regarding Rye... I think you start tasting/noticing it around 20-30%. One of my next brews will be a 90% Rye beer with some Golden Naked Oats ( a sort of Crystal malt from Simpsons Malting ), as I feel 25% didn't cut it last time.

The 50L Crystal will definitely help with the malty/sweet flavours, but make sure you do not use too much. Max. 10%, closer to 5%, I would say, as it could turn the beer a tad too clying, if you know what I mean.

I would also drop the CaraPils, as you do not need it when you use MO and Crystal malts. At least, that's my own experience.

SRM around 7-8 will produces a deep golden, light to medium orange colour, which I agree it looks pretty in the glass, especially when pretty clear. So... 8 SRM is perfect.

Nottingham is a beast and will ferment low and possibly yield a very dry beer. Again, this is my own experience. Not unpleasent and actually welcomed in hoppy Pale ales and IPAs, but maybe not quite suitable here. So maybe use S-04, to get a bit more body in the beer?

But at the same time, if you use Vienna and some 40-60L Crystal malt, the need for a higher FG, will not be there, which means Nottingham will probably be the better choice. I would definitely choose a drier beer instead of something fuller, possibly sweet and cloying.

From experience, I will tell you that I would definitely use Vienna malt for enhanced maltiness, like 20-40%. Munich is a bit more "dry" tasting and toasty? Regarding Rye... I think you start tasting/noticing it around 20-30%. One of my next brews will be a 90% Rye beer with some Golden Naked Oats ( a sort of Crystal malt from Simpsons Malting ), as I feel 25% didn't cut it last time.

The 50L Crystal will definitely help with the malty/sweet flavours, but make sure you do not use too much. Max. 10%, closer to 5%, I would say, as it could turn the beer a tad too clying, if you know what I mean.

I would also drop the CaraPils, as you do not need it when you use MO and Crystal malts. At least, that's my own experience.

SRM around 7-8 will produces a deep golden, light to medium orange colour, which I agree it looks pretty in the glass, especially when pretty clear. So... 8 SRM is perfect.

Nottingham is a beast and will ferment low and possibly yield a very dry beer. Again, this is my own experience. Not unpleasent and actually welcomed in hoppy Pale ales and IPAs, but maybe not quite suitable here. So maybe use S-04, to get a bit more body in the beer?

But at the same time, if you use Vienna and some 40-60L Crystal malt, the need for a higher FG, will not be there, which means Nottingham will probably be the better choice. I would definitely choose a drier beer instead of something fuller, possibly sweet and cloying.

Thanks for the info. I brewed a Rye PA about two years ago that contained about 20% rye and for me at the time is way too much. My tastes have evolved since then and want to re-visit it in small quantities to start as I just want it to be in the background. I may increase it to 10-15%. I may switch the Munich for Vienna. I have some medium crystal left which is the reason I wanted to use it.
As for the yeast, I may go with S04 or US05.

Again thanks for the info.

I don't think the Munich will be too dry. You don't have a whole lot in there. The rye I would go with a bit more. 3.5% might not be enough to really notice. Double it and you'd probably get closer to what you want without overdoing it. Maybe just drop the carafoam and replace with more rye. You should have plenty of foam with the crystal in there anyway.
Yeast depends on how dry/full you want the beer. Any that you've mentioned will work in this beer, but they will be different beers. I'd be tempted to go Nottingham, but s04 might leave more body, giving it a more chewy feel that might go well with the rye.

Do you want an English pale? If not, I'd steer towards a cleaner yeast profile. Otherwise, do it man.

Split your MO with a really good Pilsner and brew with the absolute cleanest Belgian yeast you can get. Style guidelines indicate that it's influenced by English beers so the Belgian character is downplayed. Something toasty/bready in the malt bill is nice but your Rye will add a nice note.
And I'd tone down the hops a bit, too...Malty goodness is the name of the game with a BPA.

Do you want an English pale? If not, I'd steer towards a cleaner yeast profile. Otherwise, do it man.
Not really shooting for an English Pale. Just something slightly malty and color wise copper.

Back