Cooling To Pitching Temp

I combine Cooling & Whirlpool in the same step. After I Steep in the Kettle, I draw off the bottom of the Kettle, through the Drain Valve, into the Circ Pump & into my Immersion Coil in a 25 Gallon galvanized Tub full of ice water. From there back to the bottom of the Kettle with a Dip Tube in the bottom of the Kettle. The return from the Coil spins the Wort to Whirlpool leaving the Trub in the center. I have to restock the ice once during the Whirlpool/Cooling process. I'm able to cool from 190 F to 68 F in about 30 Min. Accomplishing both at the same time.
Works for me.

into my Immersion Coil in a 25 Gallon galvanized Tub full of ice water.

OK so rather than pumping the cold into the hot, you pump the hot into the cold. How do you sanitize the inside of the coil before pumping the wort?

Wonder if he's boiling his immersion chiller during last part of boil. Sanitizing when done?

Hmmm it sounds like a counter flow chiller idea but instead of running the copper through another pipe and pumping cold water through around it he's just dunking the whole coil in bucket of ice water. I'd imagine you'd need to run the hot wort through the coil and back to kettle with ten to go then dunk in ice bucket when ready to chill?

Back