Community recipe?

I’ll probably replace part of the Pilsner malt with Dextrine on this batch...only reason being I have a ton of Dextrine I’m trying to get used up and I’d like to stretch out my Pilsner malt just a bit before I try a new one.

Added some Dextrine then spaced it and didn’t reduce the Pilsner, bumped up everything else to balance it out. Unfortunately the Digiboil only holds so much water...looking like this’ll be a little “shadier” than usual. OG is “only” .015 high...on the plus side, I have a pretty good supply of Shady Bohemian in the keezer already.

This will be my 1st Lager. I thought my 1st Cider was a departure from ales but this is a step or 2 further beyond the border.
I dug through the comments here & AHA looking into fermentation schedules & Lager Yeasts being used. Finally pulled the fermentation schedule together.

Started looking into Lager Yeast. Nosy suggested White Labs WLP802 Czech Budejovice Lager Yeast. No luck at my LHBS. After some conversation with shop guy, Gary, we settled on Wyeast 2278 Pilsner Czech 2 packs & a 2 liter starter.

It's my normal practice to make a starter & use liquid yeast but I'm venturing into the unknown, at least to me. Fermenting at 45 F instead of 70 F, there be Dragons.

Since I brew outdoors, the weather is a determining factor. It was 60 F yesterday, today 35 F cloudy & windy. Same through Thursday. Friday through Sunday is supposed to be in the high 50s F.

I'll assemble my knock down brewery Thursday & brew through Mash on Friday, stash the wort in a carboy overnight & Boil through yeast pitch on Saturday. This is a function of short days & cold nights. At least I can do the cleaning indoors each evening.

I've Brewed in 95 F summers & snow storms, while wearing my ski clothes. I swear they have shrunk since I last used them.

Really looking forward to this session. New grains, procedures & yeast. I hope I have the patience to wait out the Lagering.

This will be my 1st Lager. I thought my 1st Cider was a departure from ales but this is a step or 2 further beyond the border.
I dug through the comments here & AHA looking into fermentation schedules & Lager Yeasts being used. Finally pulled the fermentation schedule together.

Started looking into Lager Yeast. Nosy suggested White Labs WLP802 Czech Budejovice Lager Yeast. No luck at my LHBS. After some conversation with shop guy, Gary, we settled on Wyeast 2278 Pilsner Czech 2 packs & a 2 liter starter.

It's my normal practice to make a starter & use liquid yeast but I'm venturing into the unknown, at least to me. Fermenting at 45 F instead of 70 F, there be Dragons.

Since I brew outdoors, the weather is a determining factor. It was 60 F yesterday, today 35 F cloudy & windy. Same through Thursday. Friday through Sunday is supposed to be in the high 50s F.

I'll assemble my knock down brewery Thursday & brew through Mash on Friday, stash the wort in a carboy overnight & Boil through yeast pitch on Saturday. This is a function of short days & cold nights. At least I can do the cleaning indoors each evening.

I've Brewed in 95 F summers & snow storms, while wearing my ski clothes. I swear they have shrunk since I last used them.

Really looking forward to this session. New grains, procedures & yeast. I hope I have the patience to wait out the Lagering.

It's usually pretty good at 3 weeks lagering, but it gets better for 2-3 more after that,

As far as I can tell it's the same as Ales until you get to Fermentation. I've been rooting around looking at Fermentation Schedules . I think I have something. Please take a look & give some feedback.

Pitch @44 F, after 2 days raise to 50 F.
Ferment for 7 -10 days
Raise 2 Deg per day to 64 - 68 F & hold until Target Gravity reached
Move to Secondary & fine with gelatin hold for 3 days
Move to Keg & Lager @ 33 Deg F for 4 to 6 weeks

Thanks for any input.

As far as I can tell it's the same as Ales until you get to Fermentation. I've been rooting around looking at Fermentation Schedules . I think I have something. Please take a look & give some feedback.

Ferment for 7 -10 days

Thanks for any input.
That’s pretty specific and I’m sure is one of the “proper” ways to do it. I don’t do all of that. Arguably I would have a better beer if I did but What I do make comes clean as expected.
What I do: pitch yeast once under 70, ferment in the low 50’s (depends on yeast obviously) for 5-6 days and then let it raise on its own. Once it is mid 60’s I keep it there for a week. I’m an NOT as experienced as others but this works for me and is easy to control. I use 34/70 yeast fwiw

Ferment for 7 -10 days

Thanks for any input.

Depends on the yeast, some lager yeasts a fairly forgiving on fermentation temp. I'm a firm believer in tailoring the brew to the conditions I have. Basement gets as low as 60 f in the cold months, 66 in the summer. I stick with yeasts that will ferment clean at the temps I have. Had good experience with both Fermentis 34/70 and Mauribrew Lager 497 in that range. I just let 'er roll in the primary for 10-14 days(I suspect that 7 would be fine with the 497), pull a gravity sample and fill a couple cornies, bottle the rest with carb drops. I just put the kegs in the keezer at 34 with the CO2 connected and by the time its lagered it's carbed up nice and ready to enjoy. I've primed the kegs with sugar at times if I was short on keezer space(less of a problem now since investing in a beer gun).

Ferment for 7 -10 days

Thanks for any input.
The beer needs to be cold before fining. As long as you're at or below fermentation temperature when pitching, you're fine.

Thanks to all for the input. I revised my original schedule to incorporate your suggestions.

Pitch @44 Deg, after 2 days raise to 50 Deg
Ferment for 10 - 14 Days
Allow to rise to 64 - 68 Deg, move to Secondary
Hold in Fridge for 3 days & Fine with Geltian
Move to Keg & Carbonate @ 2 Vols
Lager @ 33 Deg for 4 - 6 weeks

I realize I'm being somewhat anal here but this will be my standard Lager Fermentation Schedule for future brews. I'm sure it will evolve over time.
Thanks again to all.

Thanks to all for the input. I revised my original schedule to incorporate your suggestions.

Pitch @44 Deg, after 2 days raise to 50 Deg
Ferment for 10 - 14 Days
Allow to rise to 64 - 68 Deg, move to Secondary
Hold in Fridge for 3 days & Fine with Geltian
Move to Keg & Carbonate @ 2 Vols
Lager @ 33 Deg for 4 - 6 weeks

I realize I'm being somewhat anal here but this will be my standard Lager Fermentation Schedule for future brews. I'm sure it will evolve over time.
Thanks again to all.
Checked my brew this morning krausen had fallen temp is 18c @ 15psi took spunding valve off to let pressure build up itll be on deck a week from now and will lager as I drink it:).

1.010 tastes good some interesting flavours in there.
20201203_185314.jpg

Will leave this for another day or two I'm looking forward to this beer I'm liking the 85g sazz 15 min addition too:).

Looks really tasty! So using pressure it ferments that fast?

Looks really tasty! So using pressure it ferments that fast?
Well I didnt expect it too but hey they (yeast) do as they like.
I pitched a jar of slurry at around 1.042 wort fermented at 14c so I'm not to concerned plus with the added ferm preassure I know will suppress any esters.
I usually have pretty quick fermentations.:)
Probably not one to emulate there though:p.

I'm still toying with the idea of brewing Shady's Bohemian Lager. I modified the recipe to use ingredients available at my LHBS. Now I'm down to yeast. Either Fermentis SafLager 34/70 (dry) or Wyeast 2000 Budvar (liquid). I've heard a lot good things about 34/70 but, wondering about the amount of yeast I need. Do most of you just buy multiple packs (I figure I would need 4 packs ($26)) or do you buy one ($6.50) and make a starter?

2-3 packs of 34/70. I like this yeast and use it for every lager. I’m sure the correct answer is a starter. I used 1 pack for my 1.75 gallon batch

I'm still toying with the idea of brewing Shady's Bohemian Lager. I modified the recipe to use ingredients available at my LHBS. Now I'm down to yeast. Either Fermentis SafLager 34/70 (dry) or Wyeast 2000 Budvar (liquid). I've heard a lot good things about 34/70 but, wondering about the amount of yeast I need. Do most of you just buy multiple packs (I figure I would need 4 packs ($26)) or do you buy one ($6.50) and make a starter?
I just used slurry from a previous batch 250ml pretty fresh stuff. Attenuated to 1.010.
34/70 will leave you a nice smooth body. I wouldnt go dry larger yeast type like S23 for instance
I rekon still lager S189 I think it is a good alternative.
Havnt used budvar.
I've used the Czech liquid lager yeast with tasty results years ago so not as fresh in the mind on that one

What's your recipe?

Last edited:
Looking very tasty. I'm about 2 weeks behind you. OG 1.047 SG at 10 days is 1.029. How long from pitch to 1.010?
Um 3 days lol!
Screenshot_20201217-121358_Samsung Internet.jpg

It sat for a couple more days before packaging.
Fermented 14c under 10psi pressure then after two days bumped to 18c free rise (meaning no heat source used).

Looking very tasty. I'm about 2 weeks behind you. OG 1.047 SG at 10 days is 1.029. How long from pitch to 1.010?
Mine never got to 1.010, stopped at 1.021. Really rich flavor, though.

Back