Citra Smash

ChicoBrewer

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
My son brought a can of Citra Solo by a Reno brewery Lead Dog Brewing to our family picnic yesterday. It was delicious so It got me thinking about a Citra Maris Otter smash. I found a few here.

Here is an example

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/335353/maris-otter-citra-smash-ipa

I'm looking for feedback on the hop schedule.

Maybe I'll have to drive up to Tahoe this weekend and get some Truckee River water ;)

Scott

I find that Citra at 60 is extremely harsh and really distracts from the dank, fruity, unique qualities. I'd get less than 1/4th of the IBUs at 60, a bit at 20 and really pile on the aroma/whirlpool additions to up the IBUs that way. Some of the really great juicy beers literally have no bittering addition and have huge whirlpool additions.

Thanks everyone. J A - I was thinking the same. Why use Citra at 60 as if it were a bittering hops? I think I'll skip it and at 17 degree whirlpool and more at dry hopping. Boomer - the hop schedule looks more along the lines of what I want although I'll probably adjust the amounts.

Anyone know of a dry yeast I could use? I'm going to the HB after work and the odds of them having any Vermont IPA Yeast is slim to none. I'm thinking S-04?

Any fairly clean yeast should work. Nottingham, us-05, Danstar west coast, etc. S04 will work but its more English ale, than American. Mangrove jacks new world strong ale yeast is pretty good too.

Thanks everyone. J A - I was thinking the same. Why use Citra at 60 as if it were a bittering hops? I think I'll skip it and at 17 degree whirlpool and more at dry hopping. Boomer - the hop schedule looks more along the lines of what I want although I'll probably adjust the amounts.

Anyone know of a dry yeast I could use? I'm going to the HB after work and the odds of them having any Vermont IPA Yeast is slim to none. I'm thinking S-04?

If you want you could even just use a little magnum, nugget or something else bittering at 60 and save all of the citra for whirlpool and dry hop. I have had pretty good luck using a little citra to bitter with but ideally you should use something else and save the citra until the end. I actually have altered the recipe to use magnum or nugget at 60. Just haven't brewed it yet.

Any of those yeast above would work. Wyeast 1318 London III would also be really good. Brings out the fruitiness. Same reason I used the Vermont.

Keep in mind my recipe is for 3 gallons so make sure you adjust the amounts.

Thanks again. I ended up with London III. I'll work on the recipe and post it in a while.

Warmer is always fruiter. If you want fruit, go for the high end of the yeast's range.

Reactions: J A
Thanks. I added the 60 back to get the IBU up too. I have some warrior but I'm being stubborn about the smash.

Seems like kicking the 30 and 20 minute additions, and using those hops in the WP, or DH would make more sense.

Seems like kicking the 30 and 20 minute additions, and using those hops in the WP, or DH would make more sense.
Personally, I like the flavor of "cooked" hops - the 20 minute addition. Agreed, the 30 minute addition seems unnecessary.

OK I'm done fiddling with it. Time to start brewing. I added the 20 minute addition. Next time I'll try it with just the whirlpool. That will give me something to contrast.

Gotta take the two hooligans for a walk first though.

"Two Hooligans Citra SMaSH IPA"

20180704_074024 (2).jpg

I like your way of thinking. If you're going to make smash, make a smash. Otherwise... I'm with you on the 60 minute addition also. I still like those bittering units to balance out all the late additions that IMO add a bit of sweetness. Same with balancing out the abv sweetness I tend to get at around 6% or more.

@ChicoBrewer can't see your recipe. You'll have to share it.

Back