Bunyip Beer

Discussion in 'Recipes for Feedback' started by Trialben, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Trialben

Trialben Well-Known Member

Pest control tech
    looking to cook this recipe up this weekend first time using some Victory malt in a beer.
    Was just looking at some feedback with percentages how much do you usually use in a batch?

I think this malt coupled with the Marris otter and wheat should make for a nice bready biscuity beer.

What's ya thoughts on the one fellas?

I look forward to your feed back cheers
    https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/502941/bunyip-beer

2. chub1

chub1 Active Member

retired
    Would have thought that at 5% approx in a lightish ale. As i understand it,it can be used up to 25% in dark beers:)

Trialben likes this.
  3. KC

KC Active Member

To me, white wheat is breadier than red wheat. I use the white/victory combo for English Bitters with a 67% pale base. Mash aroma smells like a bakery. I do 20% vic there but bitters are darker than this style.

Trialben likes this.
  4. Trialben

Pest control tech
    Thanks KC I'm using an Australian Maltster for the wheat in this recipe I just clicked on red wheat in the drop down menus sorry bit misleading :). Well good to get some feedback on this new malt looking forward to tasting this biscuity nutty flavour.

5. Trialben

Pest control tech
    Cheers club I've upped to victory to 7% I see usage of 5-15% in various places online. I'm going to drop the boil back to 40min with that first 10 galaxy as a FWH and go from there see if I end up with a hazy beer or not ? I won't fine with geletin on this one either leave them hop flavours in there.

6. Trialben

Pest control tech
    I want to add some of my home roasted 120 ish crystal malt to this grist as well probably only 200g but don't wanna over crowd this grain bill. The way I see it is the MO and Wheat are the base so far and the Victory and crystal are specialty malt so doesn't seem like overkill...

7. Trialben

Pest control tech
    #7 Trialben, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    Well wasnt the best of brew days but my best efficiency yet clocking in at 84% sweet!

The bunyip beer is in the FV cooling to 18c pitch temp.

@KC i mashed in last night and soaked overnight to try out your ph thing ph for mash was 5.4 ish ph. No acid added.

Mashed 65 for over an hour as i was cleaning up my brewhouse mess i stupidly racked my porter onto some starsan sitting in keg.

Shes a nice looking beer. No bittering or aroma aditions in this one just FWH 10g galaxt @40 min and whirlpool hops added 20 Galaxy 20 Nelson and 10g equinox - will be interesting how this pale ale turns out. I only boiled 40 mins should be hazy i still.cant figure out efficiency. Kc im thinking overnight soak.grains werr nice and soaked ready for slow temp rise to mash of 65c .Cheers

Attached Files:

8. Trialben

Pest control tech
    Kegged this brew up this evening filled keg to just below dip tube perfect volume a first for me i usually have a bit left over.

The trub in the fermentor was narly up to 4 lt mark thats like 2 1/2 inches :eek:. So will see if any nasty flavours imparted from this. I added a fair bit of dry hops to this one. First brew where no boil hops have been added too just FWH and hop stand @80c for 20mins the bitterness is deffinetly there in the sample andnplenty of tropical fruit yummy:).

9. J A

J A Well-Known Member

Victory in a mash smells just like Grapenuts cereal to me. Very toasty and malty at the same time. I've been using it to get a little toasty nuttiness in pales to round out the sweeter malt notes. Really makes hop flavor pop. The recipe looks great to me.

Trialben likes this.