Bunyip Beer

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
looking to cook this recipe up this weekend first time using some Victory malt in a beer.
Was just looking at some feedback with percentages how much do you usually use in a batch?

I think this malt coupled with the Marris otter and wheat should make for a nice bready biscuity beer.

What's ya thoughts on the one fellas?

I look forward to your feed back cheers
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/502941/bunyip-beer

Would have thought that at 5% approx in a lightish ale. As i understand it,it can be used up to 25% in dark beers:)

To me, white wheat is breadier than red wheat. I use the white/victory combo for English Bitters with a 67% pale base. Mash aroma smells like a bakery. I do 20% vic there but bitters are darker than this style.

To me, white wheat is breadier than red wheat. I use the white/victory combo for English Bitters with a 67% pale base. Mash aroma smells like a bakery. I do 20% vic there but bitters are darker than this style.
Thanks KC I'm using an Australian Maltster for the wheat in this recipe I just clicked on red wheat in the drop down menus sorry bit misleading :). Well good to get some feedback on this new malt looking forward to tasting this biscuity nutty flavour.

Would have thought that at 5% approx in a lightish ale. As i understand it,it can be used up to 25% in dark beers:)
Cheers club I've upped to victory to 7% I see usage of 5-15% in various places online. I'm going to drop the boil back to 40min with that first 10 galaxy as a FWH and go from there see if I end up with a hazy beer or not ? I won't fine with geletin on this one either leave them hop flavours in there.

I want to add some of my home roasted 120 ish crystal malt to this grist as well probably only 200g but don't wanna over crowd this grain bill. The way I see it is the MO and Wheat are the base so far and the Victory and crystal are specialty malt so doesn't seem like overkill...

Well wasnt the best of brew days but my best efficiency yet clocking in at 84% sweet!

The bunyip beer is in the FV cooling to 18c pitch temp.

@KC i mashed in last night and soaked overnight to try out your ph thing ph for mash was 5.4 ish ph. No acid added.

Mashed 65 for over an hour as i was cleaning up my brewhouse mess i stupidly racked my porter onto some starsan sitting in keg.

Shes a nice looking beer. No bittering or aroma aditions in this one just FWH 10g galaxt @40 min and whirlpool hops added 20 Galaxy 20 Nelson and 10g equinox - will be interesting how this pale ale turns out. I only boiled 40 mins should be hazy i still.cant figure out efficiency. Kc im thinking overnight soak.grains werr nice and soaked ready for slow temp rise to mash of 65c .Cheers

Attachments

• 20170617_103428.jpg
    20170617_103428.jpg
    799.2 KB · Views: 116
  • 20170617_115708.jpg
    20170617_115708.jpg
    795.6 KB · Views: 115
  • Screenshot_20170617-122658.png
    Screenshot_20170617-122658.png
    172.8 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Kegged this brew up this evening filled keg to just below dip tube perfect volume a first for me i usually have a bit left over.

The trub in the fermentor was narly up to 4 lt mark thats like 2 1/2 inches :eek:. So will see if any nasty flavours imparted from this. I added a fair bit of dry hops to this one. First brew where no boil hops have been added too just FWH and hop stand @80c for 20mins the bitterness is deffinetly there in the sample andnplenty of tropical fruit yummy:).

Victory in a mash smells just like Grapenuts cereal to me. Very toasty and malty at the same time. I've been using it to get a little toasty nuttiness in pales to round out the sweeter malt notes. Really makes hop flavor pop. The recipe looks great to me.

Back