Bug in BeerXML Export

azp

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi,

there is a bug in BeerXML Export. BeerXML 1.0 states that all Special characters have to be escaped as XML Special character codes. My surname contains a special character ("ö") that is not encoded correctly in the BeerXML export when I put my Name in the Brewer field. Therfore my recipe is not importing to BeerSmith correctly.

Could you please fix this?

Thanks and cheers

Andi

I brought this up with the developer. Thank you for letting us know that this is an issue. It's WAY over my head to fix it, unfortunately, but I will stay on top of it and let you know what is going on.

Yooper

Hi azp, sorry for the delay on this. I did some investigation into the way we're exporting BeerXML and I think it's actually working properly. The BeerXML spec talks about XML special characters needing to be escaped (e.g. &, <, >), but characters that are outside of the ASCII character set aren't given special treatment. We encode our XML in UTF-8 (which is included in the XML header too), so the double-byte character in your name is written in the UTF-8 encoding as well. So on my end, it looks like our XML and encoding is valid - I'm wondering if BeerSmith just isn't able to handle UTF-8 but I'm not positive.

Back