Bug in BeerXML Export

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by azp, Sep 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. azp

azp New Member

Hi,

there is a bug in BeerXML Export. BeerXML 1.0 states that all Special characters have to be escaped as XML Special character codes. My surname contains a special character ("รถ") that is not encoded correctly in the BeerXML export when I put my Name in the Brewer field. Therfore my recipe is not importing to BeerSmith correctly.

Could you please fix this?

Thanks and cheers

Andi

2. Yooper

Yooper Administrator
    Staff Member

Happily retired
    I brought this up with the developer. Thank you for letting us know that this is an issue. It's WAY over my head to fix it, unfortunately, but I will stay on top of it and let you know what is going on.

Yooper

3. Josh (Brewer's Friend)

Josh (Brewer's Friend) Administrator
    Staff Member

Home Page:
    Hi azp, sorry for the delay on this. I did some investigation into the way we're exporting BeerXML and I think it's actually working properly. The BeerXML spec talks about XML special characters needing to be escaped (e.g. &, <, >), but characters that are outside of the ASCII character set aren't given special treatment. We encode our XML in UTF-8 (which is included in the XML header too), so the double-byte character in your name is written in the UTF-8 encoding as well. So on my end, it looks like our XML and encoding is valid - I'm wondering if BeerSmith just isn't able to handle UTF-8 but I'm not positive.