Brown ale .. thoughts

BrewerRick

Premium Member
Reaction score
Want to add some type of chocolate, we have a chocolatier coming in today so trying to figure out a way to add some sort of chcocolate or cacao.. they want a special beer for december but the owner wants it to be a brown ale with chocolate so i was thinking of a mocha brown ale or this.

Northern English Brown

Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 21 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 28.5 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.034 (recipe based estimate)
Efficiency: 68% (brew house)
Source: Rick

Original Gravity:
Final Gravity:
ABV (alternate):
4.21%
IBU (tinseth):
SRM (morey):

Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
4 kg American - Pale Ale 37 3.5 85.3%
345 g American - Wheat 38 1.8 7.4%
285 g American - Caramel / Crystal 120L 33 120 6.1%
62 g American - Roasted Barley 33 300 1.3%
4.69 kg Total
Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
1.5 oz Fuggles Pellet 4.5 Boil 60 min 26.61
Show Summary View

Mash Guidelines
Amount Description Type Temp Time
3 L Sparge 67 C 60 min
Starting Mash Thickness: 3.1 L/kg
Other Ingredients
Amount Name Type Use Time
25 g cacao Flavor Primary 0 min.
Yeast
White Labs - English Ale Yeast WLP002
Attenuation (avg):
66.5%
Flocculation:
Very High
Optimum Temp:
18.3 - 20 °C
Starter:
No
Fermentation Temp:
19 °C
Pitch Rate:
0.5 (M cells / ml / ° P)
123 B cells required
Yeast Pitch Rate and Starter Calculator

Just my 2 cents, I'd reconsider the roasted barley because I wouldn't want roasty flavors in a brown ale. Maybe some brown or mild malt?
I do like the overall concept of your beer though, i don't think I've seen a chocolate brown ale before

Don't take this as advise rick but What about that Belgium special B in place of the roast malt it seems to be an interesting malt. Below is specks I've been using it in my lagers ATM October and fiest beers.

Special B® is the darkest of the Belgian caramel malts, and oh how special it is. It has a unique aroma and flavor that is very complex. It imparts a heavy, dark caramel taste with more subtle notes of burnt sugar, raisin, and dark dried fruits such as cherries and plums.

I think this malt would add a nice flavour. the chocolate guy came today and will be dropping off some powder, nibs and butter all from Mexican the local chocolate plantation. this should be fun and an interesting brew, if you guys want to help me create a nice recipe im all for it.

They had mentioned a brown ale, so i thought of the above recipe, now they want or are thinking of wit beer with hits of chocolate and maybe i might add something else as a special edition (cherry or strawberry?) but i have my homework cut out this weekend thats for sure

oh nice, ill be brewing two brew monday and tuesday. I got some local cocoa from a new plantation here in the Yucatan. the notes of the Cacao nibs i have are very impresive actually, notes of cacao and citrusy a bit of lime lemon lime. im actually kinda looking forward to see the results. Ill be using your recipe maybe ill modify it slightly but ill let you now it goes.

Yes after looking at it, I would remove the coriander and change it to sweet orange peel for a more citric flavor

ill keep that in mind, might have to order some of the additives, here its way too strong, o i might be able to use the local Bitter orange peel once dried. might have to do a few small tests before. but i think it will come out nice,

I've never seen a chocolate wit. Interesting for sure. I love the idea of cherry and chocolate. Just wondering if you brewed the beer and how you thought it came out.

Back