Brewing disaster

Wow poor bugger #2:rolleyes:.
Your learning.
Try not to open the fermenter too much.
Good luck on the next batch.

Hey any chance you could flick a pick of this thermoprobe for me in the fermenter pls.
Cheers

I am a pretty simple guy who brews what I think is pretty good beer without any electronics. Surprises in temperature control can’t be good for beer. Lucky for me living in a home where an interior closet maintains relatively stable temps year-round for the brewing of ales.
Good for those of you who do attempt to control temps in the effort of making better beer. Cheers!

Yeah, mine is in the shed, which is uninsulated steel so during winter would vary from -5 to 5 and in summer 20 to 40. This was meant to be my last batch for the year as I'll be away from home for most of January, so I guess I'll figure out how to deal with the summer temps once I get back... likely make a neoprene jacket for it.

Yeah, mine is in the shed, which is uninsulated steel so during winter would vary from -5 to 5 and in summer 20 to 40. This was meant to be my last batch for the year as I'll be away from home for most of January, so I guess I'll figure out how to deal with the summer temps once I get back... likely make a neoprene jacket for it.

Also look at temperatures that the yeasts can handle. Kveik handles hot, saison quite hot same as a number of Belgian yeasts

I like simplicity, but I also live in a climate where beer would only need a heater about three weeks out of the year.
Put beer in fermentation chamber, set Inkbirk with a three-degree variation, if I have power life is good.
In the winter when it gets cold, set Inkbird, check the temps a few times a day, if too cold, gets wife's hairdryer, and blow hot air in the chamber for a minute or two:)
As to gravity, I take a couple of readings to make sure I am somewhat close to the software. Using BIIB, the readings WILL be high if I do not take the bag out first. I have also purchased a refractometer to verify SG from the advice of the nice people on this forum.
Mistakes are learning experiences, and learning is good, but also don't overcomplicate things on the homebrew level.
It may be time for someone to post the Relax and have a home brew quote:)

Bloody climate change even affecting out gravity readings :eek:.
It must be the sudden changes in atmospheric pressure that's causing the hydrometer to float lower one minute than higher the next :p!

Yeah gotta check your hydrometer readings in an atmospheric controlled chamber....:rolleyes:

Sorta why they don't brew beer on the international space station.:confused:

No brewing on the Space Station eh?
And I thought going there would be fun.
Bummer!

Losing the fruits of a full day's worth of labor is awful... yet having a perfectly good excuse for another brew day is priceless!

I dunno about the rest of yousguys but I still get a little gitty the next morning after a brew day to see the mushroom herd doing what they were bred to do! Priceless indeed!

Hmm...if I was a baker...would that be "bread" to do?

Back