Brew #1 Tiny Pale in the Fermenter

So I dry hopped today. The beer smelled fantastic, almost all hops no barnyard or fruit. I am going to let it sit for a few days and then bottle. I am pretty excited no matter what I get.
Try to join our Zoom meeting this Saturday, it would be great to talk about it. Living vicariously through other brewers is kinda cool.

I will do my best to make it. Depends on my bottling process that day and family obligations.
Yes, of course! It's ok to just pop in for a short visit too! Last month I joined for maybe 5 minutes? I was at a loud brewery...

Bottling done. I am pretty excited. I am changing the name of the brew though. It is now called Gully Dwarf Tea. At a FG of 1.014 it is weak but still beer. A new recipe is in the works.

20220924_161139.jpg

Definitely a low alcohol one with OG of 1.026 and FG of 1.014
You might just have a winner low ABV ;)
How did you measure FG?

How did you measure FG?
Triple scale Hydrometer. And the taste yesterday was kind of like an orange citrus. Good flavor. Next Saturday will be the test after carbonation has done it's thing. Pretty excited honestly. But this was my first batch and I am already getting a SMaSH recipe going at this point that I plan to brew Tuesday if all goes well.

How did you measure FG?

A new BJC category....Pale Mild?? Paltry Pale? Colorado Common Regal? Keep going CoFly...we've all underwhelmed ourselves! Call it part of the learning process!

But you don't know if you failed, till you taste. Maybe you made an awesome low alcohol brew :p
One of my first brews was supposed to be a Belgian blonde, but the grain was milled way to coarse. I used the same amount of hop, and ended up with a sort of low alcohol IPA, reminded me of a Vedett 2.7%
Still on my list of trying to make again:D

Well, I am pretty stoked to share it. And buying ingredients for two more small batches tonight. If at first you fail, try, try again!
Even though this is not necessarily a failure, at work we say "fail fast".

This means, it is ok to fail, but get it over with quickly, learn from it, and get even better.

But you don't know if you failed, till you taste. Maybe you made an awesome low alcohol brew :p
One of my first brews was supposed to be a Belgian blonde, but the grain was milled way to coarse. I used the same amount of hop, and ended up with a sort of low alcohol IPA, reminded me of a Vedett 2.7%
Still on my list of trying to make again:D
One of my favorite beer recipes was initially a professional failure: A brewer friend of mine oversparged an Imperial Stout. It made a wonderful American Porter, the infamous Nautical Star!

Make sure to share your next idea. Maybe a collaborative effort will result in an improved version.
I hopefully get to do something next month assuming we only get tropical storm winds this week and I don't get any house damage.

If you brewed the perfect beer your first time, you would have learned nothing. It's your mistakes that teach you the most. Just keep making adjustments and slowly, but surely, the beer will get better and better. Next thing you know, you're named Home Brewer of the Year.

Brew on!

Make sure to share your next idea. Maybe a collaborative effort will result in an improved version.
I hopefully get to do something next month assuming we only get tropical storm winds this week and I don't get any house damage.
Please make sure you update us all in regards to how you fair with the storm. My mom lives in Sarasota and I checked in with her yesterday.

Fingers crossed Sandy

Please make sure you update us all in regards to how you fair with the storm. My mom lives in Sarasota and I checked in with her yesterday.
I have family in that area too, and they evacuated. I hope your family stays safe. It does look like that monster is tracking further south and we might get a bigger piece of it than we initially though. At this point, it is what it is, and we shall see.

Back