Breaker, breaker good buddy

I know from experience, the shorts I bought 2 years ago for going to the lake and walking in do not fit today, I owe it all to 2 to 3 beers at bead time, without being able to burn it off the sugar just sits in your body all night and turns to fat

I bought a second 5 lb CO2 tank. Can't risk running out of CO2 at an inopportune time. I'm also thinking about getting a single regulator. That way I could take a keg with me

jeffpn said:
I bought a second 5 lb CO2 tank. Can't risk running out of CO2 at an inopportune time. I'm also thinking about getting a single regulator. That way I could take a keg with me

I got one of those CO2 cartridge keg chargers. I got it in conjunction with a carb-cap set up for carbing up 2-liter bottle test-batches, but it's now my party-keg dispensing rig. I used it for my 3rd keg at my July 4th party and it worked like a charm. I figure I'm fully mobile with that device. Not certain that a lot of beers will benefit from being jostled around in transport before serving, but maybe it wouldn't get too agitated.

Yeah, it'd be a standard keg transport issue where you'd have to make sure it could have time to rest, I'm sure.

I think I mentioned somewhere in this thread that I was going to try kegging a lager 2 weeks into my standard 4 week lagering period. That frees up my fermentation chamber 2 weeks early to start another. And I also worked on the carbing during the final 2 weeks of lagering. Last night I sampled this beer. It is well carbed and tastes great. It took 2 days less than 2 months from brew day to sample it. I'm quite pleased!

I had an interesting issue with my system in the last couple days. I kegged and carbonated a batch. I did so by shaking the heck out of the keg, with 30# CO2 on it. That method worked great for the previous batch. After a couple days of doing that, all I could get was a glass full of foam. So I warmed it, depressurized it, and chilled it again. Still, nearly all foam. When it settled, it tasted a bit flat. For a couple days, I messed with it, but it wasn't getting any better. I pulled the long dip tube out to make sure I put the o-ring on it. I did. But when I replaced everything, it poured nearly perfectly. All I can think is that the o-ring just wasn't seated properly, and it was allowing CO2 from the headspace into the pour, mixing beer and gas like a carburetor.

Yep sometimes force car Bing is more work than what it's worth especially if you over carbonate ya brew. I set my legs at serving pressure and by week two carbonation is sorted my serving pressure is 9psi nice and low and I have 12 ft beerlines so plenty of equalisation.

That's my point. Force carbing doesn't seem to have been the problem. I think it was an improperly installed dip tube on the beverage side. I've only been kegging since April, but I believe each of my 8 kegs has been filled at least twice. I break down the kegs every time. First time I've seen this.

Sometimes the poppet doesn't compress correctly and will cause foaming. I had a cheap generic replacement poppet that I didn't shorten the spring on enough and it foamed until I figured out what happened. Had a seal in a intertap tap spout that got messed up and caused foam. Basicly anything that restricts proper flow will cause foaming.

I've been force carbing my kegs by chilling them, and then connecting a 30 lb CO2 line to them, and shaking the keg. I think you have to know when to stop, or you risk overcarbing the beer that way. Today, it dawned on me that I could lower the 30 lbs to maybe 15 lbs or so. Less room for error that way. I'm thinking that in a perfect world, I could put a 8 lb line on it, which is my serving pressure, and shake the keg until my arm falls off. It would take a long time for the keg to absorb the full pressure, regardless of what I set it at. If I set it at 15, it'd be closer to 8 in the keg when the transfer slows down. That's my thinking, anyway.

Back