Breaker, breaker good buddy

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by jeffpn, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Ozarks Mountain Brew

Staff Member

IT Managment
    I know from experience, the shorts I bought 2 years ago for going to the lake and walking in do not fit today, I owe it all to 2 to 3 beers at bead time, without being able to burn it off the sugar just sits in your body all night and turns to fat

2. jeffpn

jeffpn Well-Known Member

I bought a second 5 lb CO2 tank. Can't risk running out of CO2 at an inopportune time. I'm also thinking about getting a single regulator. That way I could take a keg with me

3. J A

J A Well-Known Member

I got one of those CO2 cartridge keg chargers. I got it in conjunction with a carb-cap set up for carbing up 2-liter bottle test-batches, but it's now my party-keg dispensing rig. I used it for my 3rd keg at my July 4th party and it worked like a charm. I figure I'm fully mobile with that device. Not certain that a lot of beers will benefit from being jostled around in transport before serving, but maybe it wouldn't get too agitated.

4. jeffpn

jeffpn Well-Known Member

Yeah, it'd be a standard keg transport issue where you'd have to make sure it could have time to rest, I'm sure.

5. jeffpn

jeffpn Well-Known Member

I think I mentioned somewhere in this thread that I was going to try kegging a lager 2 weeks into my standard 4 week lagering period. That frees up my fermentation chamber 2 weeks early to start another. And I also worked on the carbing during the final 2 weeks of lagering. Last night I sampled this beer. It is well carbed and tastes great. It took 2 days less than 2 months from brew day to sample it. I'm quite pleased!

6. jeffpn

jeffpn Well-Known Member

I had an interesting issue with my system in the last couple days. I kegged and carbonated a batch. I did so by shaking the heck out of the keg, with 30# CO2 on it. That method worked great for the previous batch. After a couple days of doing that, all I could get was a glass full of foam. So I warmed it, depressurized it, and chilled it again. Still, nearly all foam. When it settled, it tasted a bit flat. For a couple days, I messed with it, but it wasn't getting any better. I pulled the long dip tube out to make sure I put the o-ring on it. I did. But when I replaced everything, it poured nearly perfectly. All I can think is that the o-ring just wasn't seated properly, and it was allowing CO2 from the headspace into the pour, mixing beer and gas like a carburetor.

7. Trialben

Trialben Well-Known Member

Pest control tech
    Yep sometimes force car Bing is more work than what it's worth especially if you over carbonate ya brew. I set my legs at serving pressure and by week two carbonation is sorted my serving pressure is 9psi nice and low and I have 12 ft beerlines so plenty of equalisation.

8. jeffpn

jeffpn Well-Known Member

That's my point. Force carbing doesn't seem to have been the problem. I think it was an improperly installed dip tube on the beverage side. I've only been kegging since April, but I believe each of my 8 kegs has been filled at least twice. I break down the kegs every time. First time I've seen this.

9. Head First

Head First Well-Known Member

Sometimes the poppet doesn't compress correctly and will cause foaming. I had a cheap generic replacement poppet that I didn't shorten the spring on enough and it foamed until I figured out what happened. Had a seal in a intertap tap spout that got messed up and caused foam. Basicly anything that restricts proper flow will cause foaming.

10. jeffpn

jeffpn Well-Known Member

I've been force carbing my kegs by chilling them, and then connecting a 30 lb CO2 line to them, and shaking the keg. I think you have to know when to stop, or you risk overcarbing the beer that way. Today, it dawned on me that I could lower the 30 lbs to maybe 15 lbs or so. Less room for error that way. I'm thinking that in a perfect world, I could put a 8 lb line on it, which is my serving pressure, and shake the keg until my arm falls off. It would take a long time for the keg to absorb the full pressure, regardless of what I set it at. If I set it at 15, it'd be closer to 8 in the keg when the transfer slows down. That's my thinking, anyway.