Breaker, breaker good buddy

jeffpn

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Looks like the easiest place to plug in my new 10 cf freezer will be the same circuit as my current 5 cf freezer that I use for lagering. Does anyone here have experience running two freezers on the same circuit? Am I at risk of tripping a breaker?

on the back of the freezer there should be a label on the compressor that says the amp draw, so if both kick on at the same time it shouldn't be more than the breaker and you should see if anything else is on it, I have a freezer and a refrigerator and garage door opener on the same 20 am breaker and have never blown it

Yeah, I saw that label. It says 1 amp. Seems kinda low to me. If that's the case, I can't believe it'd draw enough on startup to trip the breaker if both started simultaneously.

My other 5 cf freezer says 1.69 amps, but it also has a startup listed (which the first one doesn't) of 12.69 amps. Maybe I will investigate putting an existing outlet on a different circuit.

The problem is the start-up amperage. The only issue would be if both started at the exact same time, which is rare. Try it and see if the breaker trips often. You will probably be fine.

I know that's the issue here. That's why I'm asking if anyone here has tried it.

I've been running a side-by-side refrigerator/freezer along with a dedicated freezer on the same circuit for many years (more than 5) and haven't had any issues yet.

So I dropped a little change today...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 901
oops looks like you bought pin locks, if you keep those I would suggest you buy new lids with a relief valve, they arnt very keezer friendly either, too wide

They're ball lock.

its possible they replaced the pin lock valves with ball valves but the lids are the old pin lock style, measure the hight of the keg 23" or 25"?

Hold on a minute, I'll go back down into the basement and measure them.

It measures 22" tall, and it holds 5 gallons. 5 of them will fit in the freezer I bought.

pin lock kegs, nothing wrong with them I have 2 but the lids don't have relief valves and you need them

They have replacement lids in the same store I bought the kegs. If it gets to be a pain to relieve the pressure the other way, I'll replace them.

They still have a safety pressure relief. To release the pressure it's not too bad, (I have a couple lids just like those) just connect to the gas side with an unterminated gas disconnect and good to go.

Welcome to kegging Jeffpn! And you thought brewing was a lot to learn. I'm sure you'll figure it out. Dive in "Head First"

Head first into my keg? Won't I drown??? :lol:

The good news is my freezer came today. And it can comfortably hold 6 kegs without using the compressor shelf (which could hold 2 more). The bad news is after I got it home, I found that it has a huge dent in the lower corner. The good news is that Best Buy will deliver a new one Wednesday right to my door. And, I can use this one to size my collar and get it built!

Well, that's a bummer! BB delivered the replacement freezer today, and it's dented, as well.

Back