Bread Thread!

A simple Saturday loaf.
IMG_20200509_175853.jpg

This is my spent mash bread from the other day I gotta work in this one though came out a bit under done.

Yeah ….been there on the "Baking With Mash Learning Curve"!

The trick I have found to work is two fold....first, cut off the heat but leave the loaf in the oven after it looks and 'sounds' done (ie a hollow ring when you thunk the bottom side of the loaf) while the oven cools down..this will test your patience! The other tip is to remove the loaf from any pan or and put it directly on the oven rack while the oven cools down. Even know you may have had a "clean" pin if you used a cake tester, bread doesn't seem to know that rule!

oh yeah...speaking of bread......Wifey is trying her hand at using some of the starter with a sourdough sticky buns recipe! Happy Mother's Day to ME! :D:D:D!

Last edited:
My understanding is bread is done when internal temp is 190f. If that helps at all.

I just mixed ingredients for a KAF no knead sourdough. My freshly fed starter was active and bubbly, smelling nice. Even with what seems a robust starter, I decided to add a tablespoon of beer yeast slurry, just because it was there, begging to be used. We’ll see what results.

Brought my starter out of the fridge a couple of days ago after about 2 weeks. Last of 3 feedings was last night. Almost doubled this morning and I'm about ready to put together a loaf. Thinking a tsp of bread yeast is in order. Just using the bread machine for this one. Been pretty busy, but want some decent bread. So, 3 1/4 cups AP flour, 2 cups starter, 3/4 tsp dry yeast, 1/2 cup filtered water and 2 TBSP butter. Got a great texture on the dough.
Running the dough cycle on the bread maker and removed the paddles after the first knead was done. Will let it go through the remainder of the cycle to rise and then run the bake cycle. Flying by the seat of my pants here, but know in the end, it'll make bread.

I work harder, not smarter. I am the bread machine, but that’s just the way I’ve always been.

My past few sourdough loaves have used a different recipe. I forgot that the one I started today actually requires an overnight rest (8-48 hours), so today I am working to prepare for baking tomorrow. Opened up my late afternoon for a hike and walk with my wife.

Last edited:
I baked a tasty loaf today (no picture). This loaf spread out to fill my Dutch oven, but unfortunately did not have oven spring. The texture was nice, soft and chewy, with a great, crisp crust. There were some nice air pockets, but generally a tight crumb. The dough was pretty wet, sticky and somewhat challenging to work with. I know the result could be better, and I’ll try again next week.

I baked a tasty loaf today (no picture). This loaf spread out to fill my Dutch oven, but unfortunately did not have oven spring. The texture was nice, soft and chewy, with a great, crisp crust. There were some nice air pockets, but generally a tight crumb. The dough was pretty wet, sticky and somewhat challenging to work with. I know the result could be better, and I’ll try again next week.
I get that if I've over proofed the dough. Keep on keeping on there Herm;)

Back