Bread Thread!

Hey thanks!
Looks real nice @BOB357. I formed my loaves last night and fermented in the fridge overnight. Made a big difference in the taste imo that I am very happy with.

That rye looks great. It inspired me to put up some pastrami. Did overnight ferment in the fridge too. It was tasty, but didn't get the tartness I like. Need some more work on the starter I guess. Still better than what we get in the stores around here.

That rye looks great. It inspired me to put up some pastrami. Did overnight ferment in the fridge too. It was tasty, but didn't get the tartness I like. Need some more work on the starter I guess. Still better than what we get in the stores around here.
And try a little less starter in the dough apparently this can bring out more tart too.
Sorta like brewing beer gotta find what works for you in your particular situation.

See your temps over there should be starting to rise too so your proof times will change with the seasons. Eg less starter is needed in the warmer months.

Oh here is a pick of my Smoko Sandwich sourdough from last night its a Vegemite and cheese sandwich :).
20200418_085729.jpg

Excuse covid gloves

Last edited:
And try a little less starter in the dough apparently this can bring out more tart too.
Sorta like brewing beer gotta find what works for you in your particular situation.

See your temps over there should be starting to rise too so your proof times will change with the seasons. Eg less starter is needed in the warmer months.

Oh here is a pick of my Smoko Sandwich sourdough from last night its a Vegemite and cheese sandwich :).
View attachment 9626
Excuse covid gloves

Nice looking bread @Trialben.

We keep the house about 69 to 70F during the colder months and about 76F during the Summer, so the proofing time will definitely change, as will the starter character. Thinking of growing the starter in my fermentation fridge after feeding once the inside temperature rises.

New Bread for some homemade cheesesteak sandwiches

Yous want dat wit or witout Wiz?? :D Sorry der philjohn...I couldn't help injecting a little South Philly humor...the look really good.

Along the Bread Thread line and my own Cheap Bastard Ethos, I tried recipe that used more starter discard then the typical cup or only a half, here's one that uses a cup and a half and makes a good yield if you want to store some or are feeding a large group...I got about a dozen 8" cakes out of this.

https://dontwastethecrumbs.com/sourdough-pancakes/#tasty-recipes-83157

image.jpg
I knew I could do it! This loaf was made in my unconventional manner. On Friday night, I poured a generous half cup of discard (cold from the fridge) into a ceramic bowl, then fed it with King Arthur white whole wheat flour and an equal measure of water. Saturday morning, I had a healthy, bubbling starter. Using this starter, I followed a recipe from King Arthur for a No-Knead Sourdough Bread (starter, all purpose flour, water and salt). After mixing the dough by hand, I let it rest and rise, doing stretch and folds 3 times an hour apart. Then I put the rising dough in the fridge overnight. This morning I started the baking process after breakfast. I like the look of this!

Lookin' good Herm.
Inspired me to go back to the more simple recipes. I do like the results of my last loaf, but think the rustic no knead method, mixed with some of the more professional steps, might be the ticket to some interesting loaves.

Back