Bock / Schwarzbier

Calcium carbonate? I did a dark larger a while back my shh its swartzy and I used a teaspoon or more of calcium carbonate or chalk in it. Not sure if this gave it that nice malty mouthfeel or maybe was my great home roasted crystal malt:p. Yeah but I know you say that chalk is hard to disolve into the brew liquor but that was a lovely beer. Good luck.

Obviously yeast choice is a big factor too 34/70:rolleyes:.

yes I have to be careful I have bad allergies so high sulfates are out and your right the Calcium chloride seems to soften the flavor I need to harden it up some

yeah I can raise it up with chalk but then I have to add twice as much acid to bring the ph down

in order to bring th alkaline up I changed it to use more chalk and less of both the others now

screenshot-www.brewersfriend.com-2017-10-01-17-40-42.png

Last edited:
My water is low in bicarbonates 33ppm luckily i like the lighter kilned styles but am interested in mucking around with bicarbonate levels to hopefully improve mouthfeel on darker styles. Look fowrard to your results Oz:).

I actually changed 2 things so I'm not going to know which one worked the best, I upped the bitterness by 20 ibu then I added 50 ppm of Alkalinity so this is a big change from the old recipe Ive brewed for 5 years I'll be shocked I know lol

Calcium carbonate? I did a dark larger a while back my shh its swartzy and I used a teaspoon or more of calcium carbonate or chalk in it. Not sure if this gave it that nice malty mouthfeel or maybe was my great home roasted crystal malt:p. Yeah but I know you say that chalk is hard to disolve into the brew liquor but that was a lovely beer. Good luck.

Obviously yeast choice is a big factor too 34/70:rolleyes:.
Calcium chloride. If you need to add alkalinity, use baking soda or calcium hydroxide. Chalk reacts with phosphates in the mash, precipitates out as the mineral apatite, reducing its effectivity and risking gushers because of the tiny crystals acting as nuclei.

yeah that lowers alkalinity by 15 ppm but is still in the correct range
Ca+2 Mg+2 Na+ Cl- SO4-2 HCO3-
76 7 56 52 62 30

screenshot-www.brewersfriend.com-2017-10-01-23-00-46.png

Last edited:
I had a Belgian Pale that was malty and soft-finishing. Since it won a gold in competition, I didn't want to tinker too much, but I wanted to change it up a little in the finish. I decided to just change the grist slightly and add a small percentage of Acidulated malt. I was surprised as what a nice difference it made. Flavor was very similar but it seems a little more crisp. It's still clearing so I won't know for another couple weeks or so. but I think it made a real improvement.

Is it too early to ask how this Schwarzbier has turned out Oz? I was checking out your adjusted water profile and your alkalinity seems to be where my standard tap water is you must be on soft water up in them there mountains!

Will definitely try adding some sodium bicarbonate next dark brew.

a few years back we acquired an award winning microbiologist that heads up the water treatment plant and other than the high chlorine in the summer the water here is very good compared to years ago, they stopped using lime for one and our water hardness went way down, the nice thing is my soaps and detergents suds more, this is my standard water

Ca+2 Mg+2 Na+ Cl- SO4-2 Alkalinity
29 7 12 13 2 114 ph 7.5

Back