blood orange pale ale

I'm pretty new at this but, citra taste pretty strongly like grapefruit.
Also I would dry hop the orange peel for at least 3-4 days after high krausen has subsided. Worked great on cerveza I did with lime.

Agreed. It's hard to showcase fruit and hops at the same time. Drop the IBUs down to around 15 and let your fruit talk. But if you insist on keeping the bitterness high, use a hop like Mandarina, a tangerine-like flavor. Or go with something like Crystal to get a floral counterpoint to the orange.

Here's a recipe I brewed last summer - one of my very best beers to date:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/601750/bloodworks-orange-clone
I developed the recipe with a little help from the brewery whose beer I was trying to clone.
It's obviously a bigger beer than you want but you could look at the percentages and scale to a lower gravity.
The Blood Orange is in the form of a can of puree.

Blood orange tastes kinda bitter to me.... Maybe that's just me but I'd lower the ibu to 20 or less so the bitterness from the blood orange doesnt add on to the hop bitterness and overpower. The hops flavor and fruit should shine then.

Blood orange tastes kinda bitter to me....
I found it to be sort of "earthy"...like oranges that have sat in the fruit bowl awhile.

Looks like a summer sipper now! CHEERS
I like the idea of only 2 malts so fruit will be the stand out. C-40 should be a great balancer for the fruit hop mix.
thanks I hope it turns out good

moved it to a secondary used a 6 gallon fermenter when I add fruit puree after the mess of a cherry sour once and it has a bigger fermentation head then when it started maybe there was some wild yeast on the oranges hope not well there is a update that no one asked for:rolleyes: I I know its just cathartic

Check your FG if really low like 1.004ish you may have some wild yeast in there.

moved it to a secondary used a 6 gallon fermenter when I add fruit puree after the mess of a cherry sour once and it has a bigger fermentation head then when it started maybe there was some wild yeast on the oranges hope not well there is a update that no one asked for:rolleyes: I I know its just cathartic
Just the sugar in the oranges feeding the hungry billions!

Back