Black IPA

So yep, if they ask for a style you give them advice for the style and BJCP is the most comprehensive and widely used style guide. Just doing my bit to say you don't have to brew to style. Generally I let it go, but black IPA gets my goat.

And I've heard Gordon Strong paraphrased as saying 'don't brew to style, brew a beer you want to drink and then work out which style it fits in'.

So yep, if they ask for a style you give them advice for the style and BJCP is the most comprehensive and widely used style guide. Just doing my bit to say you don't have to brew to style. Generally I let it go, but black IPA gets my goat.

And I've heard Gordon Strong paraphrased as saying 'don't brew to style, brew a beer you want to drink and then work out which style it fits in'.
Nobody will argue with that. :)
I still maintain that most folks who are brewing a "Black IPA" with heavy roast in the aroma and flavor are closer to a hoppy American Stout in their preferences. In the end, we can brew what we want to drink and we can call it any damn thing we please. :) :) :)

Thanks all for the great responses.

Nobody will argue with that. :)
I still maintain that most folks who are brewing a "Black IPA" with heavy roast in the aroma and flavor are closer to a hoppy American Stout in their preferences. In the end, we can brew what we want to drink and we can call it any damn thing we please. :) :) :)
And the people said, amen.... Studying for the BJCP exam really brings a lot of this to clarity. Some of the styles are so wide you could fit anything from a hoppy Pilsner to a roasty Stout in them and in the end, everything depends on the judge's interpretation of the style and your beer. So as said, brew what you like. If it fits a style, fine, if it doesn't, fine. RDWHAHB.

I read every single post on every thread on this forum. My position on the learning curve is around about "the more I learn it seems the less I know", but I am learning sh!t, and having fun. I appreciate all of the input.

Back