BIAB Brew Day

We oilersed game 5 of the series.

Ya just got back into cell service area to see this.

first round pick....here we come !

Ya just got back into cell service area to see this.

first round pick....here we come !
Leafs did Leaf things last night.
First round pick, baho_O

To get back on topic, I’ll be doing a BIAB Brew Day today, making an amber ale to accommodate my wife’s request. Since I could not find any dry Kveik at 2 lhbs, US-05 will be my yeast.

To get back on topic, I’ll be doing a BIAB Brew Day today, making an amber ale to accommodate my wife’s request. Since I could not find any dry Kveik at 2 lhbs, US-05 will be my yeast.
Sounds good! I've got an amber recipe I need to brew once I get through my blonde/pale series to dial in my system. What's your recipe? Mine is loosely based on the Redtail Amber recipe on byo.com

Not for nothing but shouldn't this discussion be moved from Beginners' Forum? Just asking.

Little bit of drift on this thread for sure, but I don't think YYC will mind...

Following is from his original post:
Allrighty folks, super excited for brew day this weekend, will be my first time brewing where I am trying to not just "wing it" lots of super helpful tips and advice given directly and mined from these forums indirectly. Sorry for the mega post.
Have a read below and any further comments, tips, advice, would be most welcomed!

A thread on BIAB brew days in general might be a thread topic if someone wanted to start one somewhere, but based on the original intent of the thread, I would say it is in the right place. YYC will no doubt bring us up to speed on how he is doing with his process, if I'm not mistaken, he may have a brew day coming up soon!

image.jpg
Here is a gallon and a half (plus) of Herm’s Amber Ale, done today BIAB style. This is my first brew using a new lhbs, who insist their fancy grain mill can be set to -3 for a perfect BIAB crush in a single pass. At the other lhbs, I always milled my own grains, running them through twice. My pre-boil gravity was 5 points below projection, and my original gravity (OG) came in 2 points low. However, my volume into the fermenters is a little higher than anticipated. So, if I had kept boiling for another few minutes, I bet my OG and volume might have been spot on. For those interested, here is my recipe that I just threw together based on some info found online https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1035150/herms-amber-ale

Is it hockey season already? How are the Habs going along? As a South African we get no hockey news...and i really like the Habs! Also, my brew day went well and have 22 litres of Hefe Weissen in the fermenter. ;-)

Brewed on Sunday evening. Decided after hearing a few people say a mash out isn't really necessary to not do a mash-out. Also kept the lid 3/4 on to try and prevent to much water loss. Ended with 23 litres where my usual is 21-22 litres. However, my OG was 1.042 and expected was 1.050. Is that because I didn't do a mash-out? Fermentation seems to be going along nicely....

Mash out shouldn't impact gravity, I'd say stir your mash more or try sparging.

Your recipe, and equipment profile was expecting to boil off "X" amount of water, and to concentrate your wort. If you made a point of preventing that boil off, you will have more wort, at a lower gravity. You shouldn't cover your kettle when boiling, I forget what the bad thing that can be produced by doing so is called. Someone will no doubt point that out.

Your recipe, and equipment profile was expecting to boil off "X" amount of water, and to concentrate your wort. If you made a point of preventing that boil off, you will have more wort, at a lower gravity. You shouldn't cover your kettle when boiling, I forget what the bad thing that can be produced by doing so is called. Someone will no doubt point that out.
Dms, for more information about dms than you probably wanted, read Milk The Funks wiki page.

http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Dimethyl_Sulfide#DMS_Prediction_Models

Thanks. In the quest for greater fermenter volume I thought I could reduce the amount of water boiled off.
In order to increase fermenter volume you would be best off to scale your recipe up in size. Beware of how much headspace you have in your fermenter.

Back