BIAB Brew Day

Sweet. Now I’m air drumming

ting ta ting ting ting ta ting ting ting ting ta ta....

The recent

Something to do with the late Neil Peart of Rush?
Hot Dog! We have a Weiner!
YYZ is an iconic instrumental tune from the Moving Pictures album. Well done there Herms, you are an honorary Canadian for the day... or as long as you would like to be

image.jpg
My BIAB brew day is done, and there is ~1.6 gallons of Herm’s BelWit II in the Speidel. Meanwhile, I am enjoying a glass of the original Herm’s BelWit, drinking nicely 5 weeks after being brewed.

I either have to buy a bigger kettle, or learn to mash and boil higher gravities and top up if I want to use up some of that luxurious head space. Things I have been pondering.

Maybe, but you seem to have a good brewing routine, and seem to be making some real good beer. What are you doing now 2 gallon batches?

Maybe, but you seem to have a good brewing routine, and seem to be making some real good beer. What are you doing now 2 gallon batches?
My batch size is 1.5 gallons, mainly dictated by my 3 gallon brew pot that fits so nicely on my stove. For today’s brew, my grain bill weighed 46 ounces, and I mashed that in 2.4 gallons of water. There was about a quarter inch of space below the rim, so right at the edge of capacity. My preboil volume is usually ~2.2 gallons. I would love to use more of the space in my Speidel.

Poor guy has to brew with Calgary water. That's rough.

I used some campden tabs in my last batch, asked the team here on BF and it seemed split on wether to use tap water or purchase mineral water.

preference is obviously to use my free water :)

The frozen water however is currently favoring the Calgary's, the Edmonton's could be out of this thing early...

Ye have little faith. My man Connor will lead the troops through the next two wins and onto to the next round. (Yes I’m an Oilers fan in Flamers territory).

Your Leafs on the other hand

Last edited:
Ugh, hockey is stupid (at least that is how I feel this morning)

We use "To Oilers" something as a verb to screw it up after looking really promising for a while.

We use "To Oilers" something as a verb to screw it up after looking really promising for a while.
Last night was Leafs, doing Leafs things...

Back